Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv had bully dog
that was a waste of money
then i got swmped it was great the first time then not pulling neg cables to disconnect chip was a bad idea

so i got re swamped now im not HAPPY actually very unhappy

so should i go with BEANS

i called Beans today and they talk pretty highly of themselfs are the good

all what im really looking for is better fuel MPG on the hiway i drive to school hope thil be better then 12mpg will beans be my FIX??

my truck is a 99 f350 my mods are Kustom cold air, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe and SwamP 6 pos chip

what do you guys think i SHOULD DO???

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
first of all please elaborate on the deal with swamps. Whats going on there? Or do you just wanna leave it unsaid?

12mpg has nothing to do with the tuner, you've got an underlying cause.

But if your just looking to get your question answered, id give matt a holler.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
So....have you talked to Swamps about being unhappy with your new tunes, or ??

And you don't need to pull the battery cables to remove your chip, just make sure the keys aren't in the ignition. I've pulled my chip many times without unhooking the batteries, with no issues, as have many others.

Dave

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Id be checking for boost leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel leaks, etc as far as the 12mpg are concerned.

Sounds to me like your comin on here askin if any of the tuners are any good at what they do, with your post count thats not gonna over to well with some of the higher ranking members.

If none of them were good at what they do they wouldnt do it

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ye i was in a hurry when i did it but had to buy a new awa3 that wasnt fun but one of the good guys of psn took care of me.

no i havnt talked to swamps again

me and a buddy got are chips at the same time

and i took a bone stock 01 but a edge evolution on it and raced his 01 that has been swamped and he has a built tranny and
stock with edge pulled right past him so

thats what really changed my mind on swamps

and better fuel mpg would be nice on my tuck i drive like a old man on trips and still get 12 at best

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Id be checking for boost leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel leaks, etc as far as the 12mpg are concerned.

Sounds to me like your comin on here askin if any of the tuners are any good at what they do, with your post count thats not gonna over to well with some of the higher ranking members.

Agreed.

And I find the best way to improve fuel mileage is to start with the person who's behind the wheel. Learn to coast instead of mashing the brakes, start off nice and smooth, roll slowly into the throttle, and don't blow any smoke.

With those kind of mods to the driver you can sometimes pick up several mpg's. No one would say it's fun though.

Dave

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

im not qustioning anybody those guys make good money and do good work i want to try somebody else out.

my truck is in good running condition i just installed new oil pan and fron and rear main seals not to long ago and fixed mu up pide leak. im not having any boost problems or blow by

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
If your truck is in good running condition, and you drive it easy, it would be getting at least 15, prolly closer to 17mpg. So it obviously has an issue. And comparing your truck in a race against another when yours has issues is by no means a fair comparison. Are the trucks even identical anyways?

If you're not willing to first call your current tuner to let them know of an issue and to try different tunes, they can't help you.

I encourage you to try another tuner, that way you can rule out the tunes being the problem. Good luck.

Dave

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ill go to work in the morning and look every thing over and make sure my truck is in good working condition.

then i will call swamps and talk to them about the troubles im having.

i was wanting to pst a thread and get a second in input on what i should do.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would see if Swamps can make it right. If they dont make you happy go with Beans. I personally love their tunes. I got 21.6mpg on my last trip with mine.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
ye i was in a hurry when i did it but had to buy a new awa3 that wasnt fun but one of the good guys of psn took care of me.

no i havnt talked to swamps again

me and a buddy got are chips at the same time

and i took a bone stock 01 but a edge evolution on it and raced his 01 that has been swamped and he has a built tranny and
stock with edge pulled right past him so

thats what really changed my mind on swamps

and better fuel mpg would be nice on my tuck i drive like a old man on trips and still get 12 at best
I find it very hard to believe that an Edge beat a Swamped tuned truck.:poke:

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it happened

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that an Edge beat a Swamped tuned truck.:poke:
if the tunes really are the issue and the trucks not tuned correctly it seems a little more likely.

Even if it is a issue with swamps I would expect more than 12 mpg

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Maybe a weak HPOP causeing pour fuel economey and lack of power? Also is your truck a early 99? Also what was the other truck you raced? It looks to me you have a heavy flat bed so that may be getting some of your MPG.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
iv had bully dog
that was a waste of money
then i got swmped it was great the first time then not pulling neg cables to disconnect chip was a bad idea

so i got re swamped now im not HAPPY actually very unhappy

so should i go with BEANS

i called Beans today and they talk pretty highly of themselfs are the good

all what im really looking for is better fuel MPG on the hiway i drive to school hope thil be better then 12mpg will beans be my FIX??

my truck is a 99 f350 my mods are Kustom cold air, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe and SwamP 6 pos chip

what do you guys think i SHOULD DO???

I’ve had bully dog and that was a waste of money. Then I got swamped and it was great the first time. Then not pulling negative cables to disconnect chip was a bad idea. So I got re swamped now I am not happy actually very unhappy.

So should I go with Beans? I called Beans today and they talk pretty highly of themselves, but are the good?

All what I am really looking for is better fuel MPG on the highway. I drive to school hope that I will be better then 12mpg. Will beans be my fix?

My truck is a 99 f350 my modifications are custom cold air, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe and Swamps 6 pos chip

What do you guys think I should do?
For a start take a little time to write up a decent looking post that is better written and provides more details. That is what will get those with the most knowledge more interested in helping you. It makes it look like you want serious information and are not just sending out some text message.

A chip is not a magic cure all to everything that is possibly wrong with your truck. I would start with Swamps before I ran to another tuner thinking that is giong to be the fix. Why can you not get the exact same tunes you liked before?

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Call swamps and talk to them about what problems your haveing and they will help you out.

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
id call swamps also...but ive drove acouple beans tuned trucks and you will like the tunes alot...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
A edge truck beating a Swamp chipped truck is meaningless other than one beat the other. Way way to many variables. Try pulling the chips on both as see what happens. For it to be meaningful it would mean that every time two equally stock trucks raced they would always tie. The track can be a good tool to check out upgrades but against yourself. Your injectors could be worn. His HPOP could be healthier than yours, worn versus less so engines, tire size, gears, Boost leak, tolerances in engines degree cam were installed etc..

12 mpg is either heavy footed driving (probable), an actual problem (likely), or a little of both (very likely). Very unlikely its all a tune unless that thing is a smokey pig all the time and even then.

Check for boost leaks. You need to make a boost leak detector. You can not just look at the various boots and if they appear snug it good. You could have a split or even a hole in the intercooler. Your up pipes leaking would create soot up on the firewall above and behind the turbo. But the leak could be at the connection at the manifold.

How many miles on this engine?

How much oil does she eat?

Do you have gauges? What have your gauges been showing for boost, egts?

Any codes from a scanner, CEL tripped or not?

Do you have a boost fooler installed.

Other than MPG what makes you think the chip is the issue? Why did you think the first chip was awesome and this sucks. Differences?

Is this a early or late model 99 truck model?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts