Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the from the dinky-ass stock transmission cooler on my '97, and I am curious to see/hear about what cooler setup you guys are running on your trucks, and how well they're working for you. There's a lot of options out there, and I'd just like to hear your all's opinions.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
6.0 trans cooler. Then upgrade to superduty trans lines. More flow and you will run cooler.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just use rubber transmission lines.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I might've had an epiphany today... Happened to be around one of our parts tractor today, and it's hydraulic cooler caught my eye...

...has a 5/8" inlet and outlet (which I'd have to adapt to, but that's no big deal) it has 2 rows of wide, flat cores in it, and a fairly size-able top and bottom set of tanks on it. More fluid capacity, lots of cooling surface, and it's free! ;-) now if itll fit between my radiator and bumper, we'll be aces!

Whatcha think??? Any holes in my theory???

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Looks like it will work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just installed a TruCool 4739 and it did the trick. It's a very easy install and is very effective. My former 220F temps towing were reduced to the 160F range towing.

While I didn't have any problems running at 220F, I decided to spend a few bucks to see if maybe running a cooler temp would help. Don't know if it will make the tranny live longer, but the temps are sure down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts