Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Motorcraft 15W40 spring/summer/fall.. Motorcraft HD 10W30 in winter.. 4K mile intervals..

·
Registered
266 Posts
i just got my truck not long ago and as most things i get i started off by changing the oil. i put the motorcraft 15w40 in it and now in the mornings when i first go to start it in runs a tad rough for about 3 minutes after that its fine but i never did do that before with the old oil it would fire right up and hit on all 8 like a champ. i asked the same thing you did what oil? and i wish i would have listned to the guy on here that told me motorcraft oil is "junk" because i do belive he is right my next oil change it will be getting valvoline for sure little spendy but there has got to be a reason why most the guys on here like it!

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
Shaeffer Is the best for any vehicle.

I

·
0 Posts
i just got my truck not long ago and as most things i get i started off by changing the oil. i put the motorcraft 15w40 in it and now in the mornings when i first go to start it in runs a tad rough for about 3 minutes after that its fine but i never did do that before with the old oil it would fire right up and hit on all 8 like a champ. i asked the same thing you did what oil? and i wish i would have listned to the guy on here that told me motorcraft oil is "junk" because i do belive he is right my next oil change it will be getting valvoline for sure little spendy but there has got to be a reason why most the guys on here like it!
People have different outcomes out of different oils in different trucks.. Motorcraft runs great in my truck.. Depends a lot, temps, condition of injectors, voltage on your FICM and many other things.. Some times depending on temps, when you change your oil your truck may run a little differently until it shears it down to 30 weight.. In what temps are you running 15W40? Most 6.0's don't like 15W40 unless it's at least 50 degrees..

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is gonna be such a long thread, let me break it down for you.....

If you have money to blow and love your truck more than your life go with valvoline extreme blue 5w40 (unless you find a deal, have yet to find one)

If you want good oil Rotella T6 (Synthetic)
If you want ok oil Rotella T5(Synthetic Blend) 10w30
If you want standard oil Shell Rotella (Non-Synthetic) 15w40
If you want good Synthetic Oil - Amsoil 10w40 (Better than Rotella in Winter)
If you want garbage - Ford Motorcraft Oil

O and the next discussion that will probably come up is oil filters, go with motorcraft or ractor only, do not..... repeat do not use Wix, K&N etc etc thse are garbage, same goes for fuel filters, motorcraft only.

All in All you will need to try maybe different oils and compare prices to see what you like best, synthetic oil does allow for easier starting in the winter.
I ran the 15w40 motorcraft and im not real happy with it :doh:. though it is warming up here in Montana and it is starting to run better in the mornings when i fire it up. so maybe not a bad oil depending on a few variables nature controls. like dieselstroke told me try a few based upon what you learned here and use what works best for you as far as cost and performance. as for me im gunna get my moneys worth out of this motorcraft and try the valvoline next oil change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts