Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for an older Excursion.
Is there any common rust spots, etc I should look for that a truck might not have ?
Anything else to look for before buying ?

I'll be changing a ton of stuff anyway so I'm looking at 99-2000...something pretty old. It'll have the lower plastic stuff removed and all holes filled to make a solid steel body. My 05 front clip, my lowered running gear and my motor/trans installed. Basically looking to strip my black truck and recreate it as an Excursion.

I found a black 2wd 2000 here locally for 3500 bucks I gotta look at this week....so I need to know if therte's anything weird to look for on these things.

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
As far as rust spots I would look on the bottom of the front fender(where the wheel well ends) and on the bottom of the truck on the rear side just after the wheel wells...If the inner fender part on the rear has been removed they rust up alot...That's just what I've noticed on the older ones.

·
Banned
544 Posts
Moose,

If you are going to do all that why noit find a gasser to do it to? Try to find the 02 so you can have the ajustable pedal and some of the new gates that the trucks have.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The lower plastic stuff is held on with double stick tape not screws. XLT versions do not come with it standard so that could save you some time or hidden rust. Guess you are looking for one witha blown engine or possibly front end damage but straight frame ends. Not sure what issues you will have with things like gauges and sensors going to a 6.0 and its ECM.( assumed a 6.0 as you said YOUR 05 front clip, motor/trans.) Never messed with the 6.0 stuff at all.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
The lower plastic stuff is held on with double stick tape not screws. XLT versions do not come with it standard so that could save you some time or hidden rust. Guess you are looking for one witha blown engine or possibly front end damage but straight frame ends. Not sure what issues you will have with things like gauges and sensors going to a 6.0 and its ECM.( assumed a 6.0 as you said YOUR 05 front clip, motor/trans.) Never messed with the 6.0 stuff at all.
He's runnin a cummins

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Are you planning on using the rest of your truck and dropping all of the Excursion stuff onto it? If not, I might be interested in all of your spare parts and body panels, bed, frame, everything.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Are you planning on using the rest of your truck and dropping all of the Excursion stuff onto it? If not, I might be interested in all of your spare parts and body panels, bed, frame, everything.
If he is keeping it I have a rolling chassis in my driveway...

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
If he is keeping it I have a rolling chassis in my driveway...
I'll keep that in mind. I mainly would want it for the fact that I know his truck is in such amazing shape, I wouldn't NEED to repaint anything. And everything has been kept perfect. Plus his truck has a grey interior. Which is what I want.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonna stay 2wd. Didn't know if there were any body rust issues that might differ from the truck cabs/bed.
I'm looking for a blown motor or light front collision truck. Something I would already have all the parts to rebuild it with off my black truck.
Obvioulsy I'll swap in the Cummins/48RE and lowered suspension.
What I need is a roller to start body mods on. Fully shaved except the door handles, roof rack shaved, emblems...stuff like that.

It's just an idea I've been batting around for a while that I think I might move on this summer. Lowered Super Dutys are becoming more and more common...you never see lowered Excursions around my parts though...might be fun to build something different again AND have room for an even bigger stereo system.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your just never satisfied with your mode of transportation looking the same for more than a few months LOL
You just now figured that out. LOL
since about '93 I've had 6 cars and trucks...4 have been in magazines even if it was just show coverage. All of them were extensivly modified...one to the point of only being trailered the last 2 years I had it.
People come and go in this hobby....I've spent my whole life living and breathing custom vehicles.
It's just what I do....

·
1,079 Posts
I'll keep my eyes out around here. Being you want an older vehicle, how much of a priority is paint color? I would think black, in good shape, will be hard to find.

I can only imagine what kind of a monster this'll be when it's done.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any color. My plan is for House of Kolor silver with gunmetal grey wheels and charcoal grey interior.
It's still just an idea...I may just do all that stuff to my truck instead.

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
I hate to see the truck go but im with ya on wanting something diffrent than everyone else..goodluck man

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
That's gonna be one bad ass truck! I can't wait to see what you do with it! As for common areas of problems I can't think of much. If I come up with anything I'll let ya know.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts