Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously had a custom tuned chip before I really learned about these trucks and really wasn't mature enough to have the power. So I ended up busting up my truck pretty good (blown rear twice, clutch about fell out of it, ate a few sets of tires,etc.). Now sometimes went by I've got the truck all fixed up and taken back to stock besides intake and exhaust. Once I pulled the chip my truck seemed to almost heal itself of alot of issues so I'm done with that tuner but, I miss the power.

So I was thinking of just doing a 10k mod and IDM mod to try and get some power back and not have to worry as much about busting things up as it would be milder. Or should I just get a beans chip? Do the mods do the same thing as a chip or would they still be an upgrade if I went to a chip with them?

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
I suggest getting a chip again but if you can't handle the power then don't have as powerful of tunes put on the chip.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
You could have Power Hungry Performance put a 40-60hp tune on the PCM and call it done, or a nice simple superchips programer...

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Joe is right a PCM flash would be a inexpensive route that keeps things more safe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear that but I've actually got a old ts chip laying around so may as well have a few tunes. Isn't a reburn and a pcm flash pretty close on price anyway?

And could someone clear up if the IDM and 10k mod are doing the same things that a chip does through the computer or if they will bring power gains with or without a chip?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I hear that but I've actually got a old ts chip laying around so may as well have a few tunes. Isn't a reburn and a pcm flash pretty close on price anyway?

And could someone clear up if the IDM and 10k mod are doing the same things that a chip does through the computer or if they will bring power gains with or without a chip?

IDM mod will net you very little for the $100-$300 it costs, and a 10k mod, thou cheap is not a good route to go for your tranny and motor.

If you have a TS chip, sent it to Beans, Swamps, Power Hungry Performance, Total Diesel Performance or Gearhead Performance

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IDM mod will net you very little for the $100-$300 it costs, and a 10k mod, thou cheap is not a good route to go for your tranny and motor.

If you have a TS chip, sent it to Beans, Swamps, Power Hungry Performance, Total Diesel Performance or Gearhead Performance
Exactly what I needed to hear. I think Beans will get it and I might ask them to make a retard proof DD tune :D. I may still do the IDM mod cause I could send that to beans at the same time and they do it for $100.

·
PMS medication required
455 Posts
IDM mod is good and relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself. Not hard just have to be careful. When I did mine the hardest part was getting the cover off without bending it and cleaning all the old sealant off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
DAmn now u got me worried. i;m about to order my tuner and this is my first diesel truck and tuner that matter. i'll try to have self control:D

·
Ridin Dirty Motorsports
608 Posts
DAmn now u got me worried. i;m about to order my tuner and this is my first diesel truck and tuner that matter. i'll try to have self control:D
good luck with that man! I know I can't resist esp when there is some screw ball beside you thinkin they are cool and have the fastest car. lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You just have to do the supporting mods to keep your truck from breaking.
I did... I wasn't a completely unknowing teenager with a tuned up truck. I bought my truck bone stock and made sure it wasn't previously messed with. Then I did a few months of reading here. I followed all the rules did my intake and exhaust first, then got my gauges, boost fooler, and tuner (that i wish I read more about...).

My truck had all the supporting mods everyone says you need and I still busted it up running your toy hard always costs money one way or another. This has been my experenice with all motorsports really fourwheeling trucks, racing dirtbikes, or acting like billy badazz in your diesel truck :D.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Grow up a little. I used to be that way till morgage 2 of them and a child coupled with responsability knowing if i break somthing i could be out of commision for a bit till it is in the cards to fix it or hear the wife gripe.

·
n00b status
18 Posts
Grow up a little. I used to be that way till morgage 2 of them and a child coupled with responsability knowing if i break somthing i could be out of commision for a bit till it is in the cards to fix it or hear the wife gripe.
This. But don't take grammar and spelling lessons from this guy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts