Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just got my truck...it's a 2000 F350 with 70k original miles. I was backing up a 3000 lbs enclosed trailer up a decent little incline and the tranny temp got up to about 195. I was going forward and back trying to get the trailer perfect. Anyway, i noticed trans fluid pouring out of the torque converter. After the truck cooled down I added some fluid and it hasn't leaked since. But I haven't had it in that kind of bind since that day. One mechanic looked at it and said that he thought my TC input was wallowed out where it fits into the pump and once the trans reaches a certain pressure, it forced fluid past the seal. He recommends a new TC, looking through the pump (while we're in there) and a transco tugger kit (also since we're in there). What are your thoughts? Has anybody ever had this issue before?

·
Stone Crusher
371 Posts
Might be a bum pump seal. Change it out when you do the Tugger kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about the brass seal that the TC sleeves into...that is attached to the female end of the pump?

·
Stone Crusher
371 Posts
Are you talking about the brass seal that the TC sleeves into...that is attached to the female end of the pump?
That would be the bushing. The seal is the gray rubber part on the pump.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i had the same exact problem not to long ago. it was the front main seal. i was backing a boat up my driveway on an incline, same situation. fluid started pouring out. new seal problem solved.

reason it doesn't come out on level ground is there isnt a whole lot of oil moving around and high pressure in there, but when your backed up on an incline it sits there and with that little bit of pressure it comes out if the seal is worn.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
It is a common issue. The cure is a new seal.
Yes this is a pretty common post. There is a better seal out there but I am not sure where to point you for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts