Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I am in a bit of a bind because I dont have much time to get my exhaust brake looked at.... my current exhaust brake does not work its a US gears.
It could cost me $80 to fix or $300+labor or I can call it a loss and buy a BD exhaust brake and get it installed.

I dont want to pour money into a exhaust brake thats going to keep costing more money to fix.

What should I do?

thanks,
Andrew

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
What other brand of inline brakes are out there?

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Is it under warranty with US still? I would think it would cost a lot less than $1200 to fix what you have. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No its not under warranty anymore. Yes it is probably cheaper to fix right now but in the long run if it keeps breaking it could cost the same to just get a new one.

thanks,
Andrew

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
It's also the hassle of dealing with it everytime it breaks. It kind of like rebuilding the stock tranny or getting one built the right way. Alot less hassle.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
I've always thought that the air actuated PRXB from Pacbrake was one of the best on the market. If I was installing one on my truck, that would be the one I'd buy.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always thought that the air actuated PRXB from Pacbrake was one of the best on the market. If I was installing one on my truck, that would be the one I'd buy.
I hear its quiet though. I want one that scares the crap out of people on the sidewalk and reliable ;) :ford:

-
Andrew

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have video with audio of the BD and the pac brake so I can compare how loud they are?

On edit: I am getting my exhaust brake checked out tomorrow if they can it without buying parts for cheap if I will get it repaired if not I will buy a PAC or BD.

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
556 Posts
Happy with my air actuated in-line BD exhaust brake. The air actuation of opening the valve is noisy, made the wife jump, but not that bad when the valve is closed.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happy with my air actuated in-line BD exhaust brake. The air actuation of opening the valve is noisy, made the wife jump, but not that bad when the valve is closed.
Hi Martin

With the windows up how loud is it when the valve is closed? How about with the windows down?

Could you make a video for both scenarios? I would really appreciate it.

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
556 Posts
Andrew,

I don't have a video camera or a vidoe phone. If I can find one this weekend I'll get something sent to you.

The hissing out the tailpipe when the brake is closed is not that noisy.

Matt

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andrew,

I don't have a video camera or a vidoe phone. If I can find one this weekend I'll get something sent to you.

The hissing out the tailpipe when the brake is closed is not that noisy.

Matt
Hey Matt

If you get a video that will be great.

On Edit: I found out what my problem was my ground and hot hit each other and short circuited the computer and blew a wire on it. I soldered a wire in between the broken wires and now my exhaust brake works again I am the happiest man on earth right now :ford:

I cannot tell you how much it sucked to use the regular brakes for several months....... now I don't have to touch the brakes until 25 mph :D:D:D:D:D:D:D :ford:

thanks guys for all your suggestions

Andrew

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah mine does but right now its more of a whooshing sound then the deep throaty tone it used to be before the one of the gaskets broke

-
Andrew

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
do those exhaust brake even make noise like the compression brakes on big rigs?
I don't think so, now Jake Brake does make a exhaust brake for a 5.9L Cummins. Not sure if that sounds like one but it would be cool if it did!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts