Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, got my BTS installed this weekend. Now I have my old E4OD with PI converter leftover, as I bought the BTS used and the owner didn't need a core.

I'm just looking for opinions on what to do with my old trans now. I thought about selling it, but didn't know if there was a better alternative. If your advice is to sell it, let me know what you think its worth so I can post it.

The trans and TC have around 50k on them.
The previous owner participated in a couple truck pulls, I have not.
It has been on the drag strip, but only maybe 8 times in the year I've owned it. I don't believe the previous owner had it at the strip very often.
I've towed around 6k pounds a couple times, no problems, temps stayed below 160*. Before me, as far as I know, the most he towed was a GN with a mud truck on it. NO idea on the weight.

The TC should still be good, at least from everything I have heard about the PI converters. The transmission was "built" (Red Eagle clutches and PI converter, not sure of any other details), but was slowly starting to slip more and more, and she was finished off when I got fresh tuning back in February. On my test drive after the re-tune, in my street tune just easing into it like I was passing somebody, it slipped pretty badly.
I think the stock cooler got restricted, as she got up to 210* twice, the only 2 times I drove it after that.

Friday on the 80 mile drive to the shop where i was installing my BTS, it started acting up mechanically, other than slipping. Which it hadn't done prior. When I stopped at a stop sign, and went to take off, it revved like it was in Neutral so I let off. After 10 seconds or so it slammed into 1st, making a metallic crashing noise when it did so. For the next 40 miles, it did that anytime I came to a stop (maybe 6 times total). Also, for those 40 miles, it would intermittently make a growling noise while in OD.

The temps hit 220* at one point, so I pulled over and shut it off to cool for a half hour or so.

I'd like to sell it and try to recoup some money, but I don't have the slightest idea what it would go for. Also, whether the PI would be sold with it or seperately, the PI can be cut/cleaned by PI, before or after a sale. I also have already had some interest in it IF I decided to part it out.

THere's a background on it from what I know. I tried to keep this short while also posting as much necessary info as I could think of. If you have questions ask..

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Have you thought of asking Brian if he wants a core and what he'd pay for it?

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I will do just that though, thanks. I'm expecting a call from him anyways

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Sounds like you killed the trans and trashed the converter in the process. I would say that if you are lucky enough to find someone to take it for free, you made out on the deal. I just gave away a trans and converter in somewhat better shape than that.

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I trashed the converter? THink that that's what the growling noise was? :(

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.. that's about all I had planned to do with it anyways. I didn't think I was tearing up the TC though

·
Registered
254 Posts
Unless you had a filter in the cooler lines that caught everything, converter is now just a core along with the trany.

If you want to off it to a fellow Ohioan then let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts