Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first superduty . It's a single cab 4x4 single cab and 6 speed. I'm need to know what size exhaust will be best. I'm debating between 4 or 5. What are you guys running?

·
Registered
120 Posts
What are your plans? If you just want more sound chop the stock muffler and go straight pipe. The downpipe will then be your restriction. If you want a kit as Bruce said 4 or 5 will be about the same as they both have 4 inch downpipes with the 5 inch system starting the 5 inch piping after the downpipe.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is straight piped now. I would like to do the basics chip, gauges, intake and exhaust. I had 4 inch on my obs just saw I had the option of a 5 on this truck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
5" sounds really nice. More turbo sound at idle and it's choppier. And it looks cool, that's about it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yeah, its more for looks than anything, I have a MBRP 5 inch straight pipe. I love it!

The only tip I can give you, and this goes for any size pipe, make sure you get the exhaust out past the weld on the bottom of the bed. If it is inside there even a little you will get an amazing resonance inside the cab. I removed my tip a while ago to fix something and WOW what a sound difference in the cab.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
243 Posts
I cut mine way to short when I was putting it on and it exits under the bed. Doesn't do too much to sound in my opinion, just doesn't look as good as I thought it would.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
it only does it at certain RPMs for me. not all that bad, except for long drives, especially while towing and the motor is under more load.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
im thinking a 4 inch dp into a full 5 inch straight behind the pass rear wheel with a 6 inch tip. Will this give me the deeper tone the full 5 inch would?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
thats exactly what I have and I love it

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's as big as they make them. The biggest downpipe you can get for these trucks is 4". With that being said, that is the setup I am running and I love the way it sounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back from the dead... After a lot of searching through the various exhaust threads I didn't deem my question worthy of yet another exhaust-related thread and this thread's topic is directly related to my question: will 5" exhaust give me headaches in terms of fitment at my B&W gooseneck hitch? I wanted to go with the Flo Pro 5" kit without muffler if it has clearance at the gooseneck hitch, otherwise I would revert to their 4" kit. Thanks for any information yall can give me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
4 or 5 inch whatever you can get the best deal on.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I dont see why it would have fitment issues there. I recently swapped out my existing and rotting 4 inch dp, 5 inch exhaust for a new stainless one. It was very very simple and plenty of room all around the pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts