Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Local Machine Gun Builder
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you turn your ignition switch to the 'off' position, what happens to kill the engine? Does it kill power to the IDM, does it cause the IPR to dump all the pressure so the injectors can't fire?

·
psdguy97
859 Posts
I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i would imagine it kills power to the idm thus killing power to the injectors

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It'll kill power to anything that's powered by the "Hot in Run" power. I guess I'll have to look it up when I get home (probably portions of the PCM as well as the IDM). Cheers!

·
Local Machine Gun Builder
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what exactly happens. Would be interesting to know!

·
Drive it like ya stole it
186 Posts
So then the question becomes, is it possible for a PSD to run away? I guess not?

·
Do you smell something?
641 Posts
So then the question becomes, is it possible for a PSD to run away? I guess not?
You bet your ass it can run away....injectors don't need to be firing to burn oil.... (remember no spark, combustion ignition)
This has been discussed in length about banks dragster they have no air shutoffs, they think you kill the ignition it turns off on an electronic engine....

FYI the key off turns off the pcm power relay, which in turn kills everything else. turn your key on and listen real close you can usually hear the glow plug relay, and pcm power...

·
bring the chain
1,344 Posts
Key shuts off the pcm,idm relays shuting them down. Then as someone mentioned the 12 volt power source is killed by default dumping icp. But by the time this happens, the engine is already shut down.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
186 Posts
You bet your ass it can run away....injectors don't need to be firing to burn oil.
Yeah I guess not, for some reason I was thinking only mechanical injection could run away...silly me :p

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yea find a few of your cummins or crapamax buddies and have them dump a few gallons of oil in the IC. Tell them how awesome you heard the smoke would be. :ford:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Yea find a few of your cummins or crapamax buddies and have them dump a few gallons of oil in the IC. Tell them how awesome you heard the smoke would be. :ford:
:pointlaugh:LOL:pointlaugh:LOL

A friend of mine actually did that(kinda) with his Peterbilt(CAT). Turbo went bad so he pulled over the side of the road. Went and got a turbo and bolted in on. He didnt check for oil in the I/C. He started it up, let it idle for a few minuets. Then went down the road. As soon as it built boost, the truck just took off. he couldnt shut it down. It ended up putting a rod thru the side of his block

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
^^^^^ Another good reason to have a manual tranny. Stand on the brake pedal, drop it in gear, the clutch might not like it but it'll stop the crank.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^^^^^ Another good reason to have a manual tranny. Stand on the brake pedal, drop it in gear, the clutch might not like it but it'll stop the crank.
Did u miss the part were he said it was in a Peterbuilt??

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So what does oil in the intercooler do...

It makes things AWESOME, but it is only for cummins and crapamax owners. Special way to make smoke. Spread the word!!! :ford:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
On the serious side, it would end up being a source of fuel that if it made it's way into the cylinders could cause the engine to run away (if the engine's turning and making compression, the "extra" fuel will keep it going with no way to control it). Cheers!

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
On the serious side, it would end up being a source of fuel that if it made it's way into the cylinders could cause the engine to run away (if the engine's turning and making compression, the "extra" fuel will keep it going with no way to control it). Cheers!
That's what I figured, I got the joke and would tell that to someone with a dmax or cummins, if I wanted to get shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts