Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an E99 and im looking to do a turbo upgrade. what should i do, go with the h2e conversion kit, g38r turbo and change out the upies,plenums,etc..,or keep the early 99 style and go with the beans d66 turbo. i have a buddy of mine who just put a h2e conversion kit in his dually and its great but the only setback i have is that u cant find a 4 inch downpipe for the h2e turbo. as of right now i have the mbrp 4 inch downpipe on stock turbo.

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
What are your power goals first off? If its higher than 450 then that would eliminate the d66 and if its higher than 500 then that would eliminate the 38r. I think thats close to the guidelines of the turbo capabilities anyway. If not then someone will correct me

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to make around 500 if not more. im ganna put 235/80 injectors in. i see u have the 38r how is it? just the h2e u it comes with a 3 ich downpipe and i have a 5 inch exhaust. could i get a later model downpipe with the 38r and would it fit?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Id go the 38r. Just sell your stock stuff and it will pay for everything you need to mount the 38r. D66 you have to send in your stocker as a core. Those intakes off the 99 bring good money.

·
852 Posts
The 38r is a really nice turbo. Im looking to make 400hp. I just have a dp tuner with the 120r right now and that thing will spool up instantly. Its a great turbo. Well worth the money so far. I believe there is a guy on here that is running over 500hp on a 38r. Im sure he isn't the only one though. The 38r should handle those injectors just fine

·
852 Posts
sure could. I have a 4in downpipe on mine. And yeah 500 has been achieved before and i haven't heard of any failures

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
38r will work with your down pipe. 238cc work vary well with the 38r. Its all about tuning.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet i think ill go that route. just started my new job 4 days ago so ill give yall an update on when i get the parts in and do a photo by photo when installing it.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Call matt at gearhead. He can hook you up with everything at great prices.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I second that. He has a great set of tunes that have been dialed in for that specific combo. 238/80 / gt38R You really do need some head porting to make a clean 500+ but you can get very close to right at 500. The 38R is flat out a fun turbo for the street. With that combo Matts tunes also have hit 20 mpg with 35" auto with conservative driving. Its one of those combos that you can have stock or better mpg and over 450 hp. Give Matt a call and discuss everything with him. He's a good guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts