Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,428 Posts
Because your truck can run at 45 psi fuel pressure and below, but damage to the injectors begins to happen at 45 psig and below (and you do not know that the damage is happening). Best shot at injector longevity is 50 + psig fuel pressure at ALL times. Some people enjoy 300k miles on the set of injectors, others don't mind changing them out at 150k miles.

Your call if you want to avoid that or not ..............

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,428 Posts
I would tell you that I have seen multiple brands of regulators fail (ie deliver less pressure than the set point). I have seen fuel pumps fail by slowly falling off on delivered pressure, I have seen fuel pickup lines break off and plug lines (which lowers pressure), I have seen the fuel pump relay fail by flickering on and off before failing completely - which impacts pressure AND flow. Even crud in the fuel tank from bad diesel can cause the pressure to drop regardless of where a regulator is set .........

We are sharing our experience - and it goes way beyond a single system or a single failure type.

If you are happy, then I am happy, but don't try to tell me that you can set ANY brand of regulator at a setpoint and expect it to never fail or drift. Seen too much to buy into that one. If you can quickly catch a pressure drift or failure on your system (which you can't without a gauge), then you should be ok, lol.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,428 Posts
In all honesty, you may be the guy that never needs the fuel pressure gauge. That said, the multiple areas of potential failure makes it a wise decision - that is all we are communicating. We have seen MANY, MANY people pay thousands when it could have been avoided.

It is like the 03 and 04 HPOP. Why anyone would install a round HPOP other than one from CNCFab or Dieselsite is beyond me. Yes it is more money, but the cost and aggravation of doing it over again more than justifies a few hundred more in cost for the part.

It is a form of insurance. Clearly not everyone appreciates the value of insurance.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,428 Posts
When you flush your coolant system, you ALWAYS leave water in the system. You can NEVER get the system completely empty. IF you try to drain EVERY place possible, then the amount of water still in the system will dilute a 50/50 fill to a maximum of 40% coolant (ie over 1 gallon will never be removed from the system).

If you want a 50/50 mix after a flush (and I recommend that it is worth having), then you need to have the 100% coolant for the re-fill.

The best way to get to 50% after a flush is to add 3.5 gallons of concentrate (100% coolant), and then top off with distilled water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts