Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts does it make sense to ceramic coat?

I'm putting on a new turbo, pedestal, and outlet flange. Would all these parts benefit from ceramic coating?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Turbo Exhaust Housing, Intercooler Pipes, Intake Spider.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
Turbo Exhaust Housing, Intercooler Pipes, Intake Spider.
Make the turbo exhaust housing, up-pipes and exhaust manifolds. Everything between the motor and the hot side of the turbo. Cold side of the turbo can get some power coat or paint if you like.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I always ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds, up pipes, exhaust turbine housing, and down pipe. The cold side can be powdercoated if need be.

I use QC Coatings here in Michigan.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds, up pipes, exhaust turbine housing, and down pipe. The cold side can be powdercoated if need be.

I use QC Coatings here in Michigan.
How difficult is it to disassemble the turbo?

I'm planning on going with a 38R. I don't have any experience with turbos at all, so this will be the first time.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How difficult is it to disassemble the turbo?

I'm planning on going with a 38R. I don't have any experience with turbos at all, so this will be the first time.
What do you mean disassemble? Like take it off the truck or take it apart?\

I've personally never pulled a turbo but it certainly cant be any more than a few bolts, taking exhaust DP off etc..nothing a halfway mechanically inclined person cant handle,

As far as disassembling the actual turbo, hell just start pullin boltsLOL

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What is ceramic coating and what are the benefits or advantages of doing it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean disassemble? Like take it off the truck or take it apart?

As far as disassembling the actual turbo, hell just start pullin boltsLOL
I mean taking the turbo itself apart, so I can just send the housing to the place doing the ceramic coating. Does the center section just separate from the housing by a few bolts?

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
it cant really get much more simpler to explain, then CERAMIC and COATING, it acts as a thermal barrier to resist heat. Putting it on the inside of stuff where exhaust gasses are helps prevent the hot gasses from soaking into the surrounding part, and pass the heat energy on to where it's supposed to be used (turbine wheel) Putting ceramic on the outside just makes stuff look pretty but in fact its acting as a thermal barrier to keep the heat IN the material.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Ahh okay gotcha.

So basically anything that sees heat is worth doing

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it cant really get much more simpler to explain, then CERAMIC and COATING, it acts as a thermal barrier to resist heat. Putting it on the inside of stuff where exhaust gasses are helps prevent the hot gasses from soaking into the surrounding part, and pass the heat energy on to where it's supposed to be used (turbine wheel) Putting ceramic on the outside just makes stuff look pretty but in fact its acting as a thermal barrier to keep the heat IN the material.
I've wondered if the ceramic coating is actually supposed to be applied to the inside of parts. What if the coating were to peal? Wouldn't it then get fed into the engine?

·
Dark Side!
47 Posts
you can ceramic coat the inside and outside of the up pipes and turbine housing, and downpipe, just make sure the coating can withstand that kind of diesel heat. the idea is to keep the heat INSIDE and help spool the turbine wheel. also helps prevent rust

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts