Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get some subs in one of these if i am going to buy one. What have you guys done? I see JL makes a box to go in the center console for $600 Seems high. I really like the JL audio stuff so i am sure i will use there subs. Has anyone moved the rear seat forward? Would love to get some 12's back there. Anyone with pics post them up.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm stuffing an Orion HCCA12.2 behind my rear console, in front of my rear seat. But I'm not worried too much about losing room, or a "professional" install for that matter.

What year model truck do you have? That would help me with info I can give.
What's your budget? Lookin for SQ or SPL?

More Info needed...

·
kinda hot in these rhinos
2,481 Posts
600 for a box that fits in the console is absolutely outrageous...

you could get a custom box made for much less!!

FWIW in one of the trucks I had 2-12" kicker compvt subs under neath the rear seat of my extended cab. Box was made by proboxrocks... and fit fairly well. It is a downfire box and sounded nice... but your choice for subs is limited to more shallow subs.

Here are some pics:

Since I have an extended cab, my rear seat has a little jumpseat that can be folded up and out of the way, while still leaving the other longer part of the bench down...

I plan on moving to a custom box in the place of that seat, with a single 12" sub from sundown audio... should be pretty ridiculous

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
What year model truck do you have? That would help me with info I can give.
What's your budget? Lookin for SQ or SPL?

More Info needed...
:whs: more info would help. You can move the seat in the 99-03 crew cab trucks forward by flipping the brackets, but the 04+ trucks with the under seat storage floor can't be easily moved, and have VERY little room behind the seat.

An 08 center console can be made to hold a single 10 or even depending on the sub a single 12

600 for a box that fits in the console is absolutely outrageous...
Its rare that I will defend JL and at the same time I agree with you. But that $600 includes a $350 sub which makes it a bit more reasonable but still pricey, and thats why I built my own.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it does have a sub but not sure one is going to hit hard enough i dont have yet but looking for a 08 4 door i like kicker and JL would like to get 2 12" somewhere. Dont want to use the room behind the console might need it for people

·
kinda hot in these rhinos
2,481 Posts
:whs: more info would help. You can move the seat in the 99-03 crew cab trucks forward by flipping the brackets, but the 04+ trucks with the under seat storage floor can't be easily moved, and have VERY little room behind the seat.

An 08 center console can be made to hold a single 10 or even depending on the sub a single 12

Its rare that I will defend JL and at the same time I agree with you. But that $600 includes a $350 sub which makes it a bit more reasonable but still pricey, and thats why I built my own.

YEah I was assuming it was just for the box... if it includes a sub that makes it a little more bearable... but still expensive.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you have the money to spend a pair of JL 13TW5's would be pretty sweet behind the rear seat. JL Audio TW5 Subwoofers - Car Audio Subwoofers
At $565 each they would have to pound something crazy for me to buy them but they are the perfect sub for the job. Wish i could hear them in person. I don't know anyone around hear that sells JL anymore.I have never had JL but always heard good things. I have had 2 12" kicker dvc had a 1500 watt mtx driving them but my amp stopped working sent it in and ground came off board they fixed it for free now it stopped working again. It lights up but no sound.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
This guy has the JL center console sub there is a link to a video of it in the description of the truck. Makes his phone jump off the console but dn how loud it would be in person. Ford : F-250 : eBay Motors (item 290422527938 end time Apr-27-10 20:34:10 PDT)
Thats the first time I have seen that stealth box installed and I am 100 millions times happier now with my own home built setup after seeing it. I have a full 4" of storage space in my console with a flat floor all carpeted nice and neat while having a single 12" sub in a 0.93ft^3 space with nearly 7" of mounting depth.

Don't get me wrong the JL 8W7 is a BEAST of a sub specially for an 8 but I could never spend that much money for it when I could build my own and have much more versatility.

There are lots of other shallow mounts on the market though it your gonna stick to that route. I would love to try and new BM II from Stereo Integrity | Home or the Memphis Audio S-class, Exile Audio shallow, RE Audio shallow, Pioneer Shallows, Kicker CVT, Polk Audio SR shallows, and many more.

4 shallow 12's behind the back seat each getting 0.5ft^3 would be pretty mean :evil

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you could get 4 back the with the big center seat belt mount. What kind of 12 do you have in yours?

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
I have a single 10" Kicker Comp in custom box behind my passenger seat. Works well enough for me. I should snap a few pics. I just need some fabric to wrap it to match my tan interior.

Custom boxes are really easy to make, granted i'm a finish carpenter by trade but still. :poke:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya the box is no big deal i can build anything from wood have all the tools and all. Just not sure what i want to do and seeing what options are out there. I don't have the truck yet kida wishful thinking i guess hopefully can find one at the right price soon.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I don't think you could get 4 back the with the big center seat belt mount. What kind of 12 do you have in yours?
Very good point, my truck doesn't have the power sliding rear window or the center sealt belt like the newer trucks.

I have a Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 Sadly it got discontinued after only about a year of production and nearly 2 years or so of preproduction work/hype. Its VERY different from most subs, not something for everyone and I like it at times and sometimes miss some of the bump I am used to.

Box I built is roughly 0.93ft^3 and will handle a sub with up to 7" of mounting depth. It does require to be a bit higher off the ground than the standard 08 but personally I like it at its new height.

Still have a hair over 4" of depth for storage

and unless you are familiar with how tall the 08 console normally sits it would be pretty hard to know there is a sub box inside the console.

For trucks with that big center seat belt and for a purchased option where you don't have to break out the power tools this is one of the best options out there,

SPL2K for all the details for that box and more.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i posted all this earlier but either it didn't go through or someone deleted it? I went and looked at some stuff to day for the heck of it. Went to a place that knows what they are doing but the only shallow mount the offer are kenwood and pioneer and i don't care for either of them. But they said they would build a box for what ever sub i brought in for $350 for that they set up mic's in the truck and it takes a digital picture so to speak of the truck and with the sub specs and amp specs it will design the box to the desired hz you want and is guaranteed to exceed expectations and has a 3 year warranty. After then install it the tune it with the mic's. Sounded like the way to go to me. I went to another place they sell Jl and Memphis side by side the are very comparable the Memphis has Kevlar in it too and it is $300 less a sub. So that is what i am leaning toward but they are very power hungry it would take a 1,000 watt Memphis amp to drive them but it is only $450. the guy took me out to his truck where he has one 12" competition 12" in a ported box and a 1,000 watt amp driving it. OMFG that was crazy it will bounce pop cans of the roof with one 12". At the first place they sell a lot of TREO stuff never heard of them. But they have mini amps they are 7"x9"x2 1/4" and they are 350w crazy.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm planning on Memphis subs, the cool thing about the S class shallow mounts is they require only 3" of mounting depth, of course, it is possible to fit a C3 behind the seat but it is tight, I'm looking at a way to get that thing in there.

I also emailed the guy in that SPL2K link to see what he can do as far as a box for my truck, the captain's chairs in the rear make things a bit more difficult....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the c3 mean competition? i was thinking about moving the rear seat forward a little to get something else back there.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dam check this out

·
Registered
581 Posts
I guess...The C3's have an 82oz magnet, 10" - 15" and range from 400w to 800w. Mounting depths of 6" to 7.36". They're pretty badass subs from what I've seen. I'm torn between those or the S class...more than likely I'll go with the S class just because of space constraints.

That vid is crazy, way too much boom for me haha.

Edit: The subs in that vid are 12" C3's.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya we have a bunch of ricers with crapy stereo's and cars lol. Be funny to blow them away with a 8400 pound truck and beat twice as hard lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts