Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the newbie question. doing some searching but couldnt find what i was lookin for. wondering what oil guys down south are using. i dont have cold start ups where i live. just got the truck and figure id change the filters and oil. its an 03 6.0 w/250k mi. thanks for any advice.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Where do you live? Are those original injectors?

I know 5w40 is popular with the 6.0 crowd but since you said cold starts are not as big of a concern then a 15w40 or diesel rated 10w30 should take plenty good care of you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Valvoline synthetic 5w40 in my 6.0 in North Ga. It gets cool here in the winter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you live? Are those original injectors?

I know 5w40 is popular with the 6.0 crowd but since you said cold starts are not as big of a concern then a 15w40 or diesel rated 10w30 should take plenty good care of you.

tampa area and original injectors. i was going to try the valvoline xtreme blue syn but havent seen it at the couple parts stores ive stopped at. they do have the xtreme blue thats not a synthetic though. that stuff any good?

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
tampa area and original injectors. i was going to try the valvoline xtreme blue syn but havent seen it at the couple parts stores ive stopped at. they do have the xtreme blue thats not a synthetic though. that stuff any good?
You mean Valvoline premium blue? Yeah, it is no better or worse than Rotella, Delo, Delvac...etc...

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
As mentioned, the Premium Blue (non-synthetic) really isn't any better or worse than the other dino oils out there. NAPA on Hillsborough (the one closest to where I-4 and I-75 meet) almost always has the Extreme Blue in stock and any NAPA in the area can order it for you if they don't have it. Sometimes my local NAPA does, and sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I use the 5w 40 valvoline syn in south fl. I like ir

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yet another newb question... Is the oil that is ran on gas engines the same as oil used for diesels? I have also been on the hunt for the valvoline syn in a 5w40, but no luck.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
No, you want an oil with a c designation (such as ci or cj-4). Gas oil will lack the ability to handle the soot and the tbn to handle the blow by.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, you want an oil with a c designation (such as ci or cj-4). Gas oil will lack the ability to handle the soot and the tbn to handle the blow by.
Thanks fella... Now if I can get this hick ass napa store to understand what exactly it is that I'm looking for... Anywhere online where you can buy oil and fluids from that anyone would recommend?

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Give Napa this part number... VAL 785124. They should be able to get it. Other option is Rotella T6. Most auto parts stores and Wally World's carry it.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Honestly, flip a coin... either will work well. I would run whichever you could get cheaper. Which, unless you have a Cummins shop near by (like Cummins Rocky Mountain or Cummins Northeast, will probably be the T6.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts