Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What muffler will kill some noise, but not the turbo whistle?

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Scherf 
#1 ·
When I got my truck last December, the dealer has deleted the cat and muffler and installed a 4" turbo back exhaust....basically straight piped the thing.

I absolutely love the way it sounds......super quiet on the highway with the windows up (unless you get the gas hard then it's pretty loud), and when it's idling it's got a hell of a turbo whistle to it. I think it sounds just about perfect! With the RPMs under 2,000 or so.....you can't even hardly hear it. Around town with the windows down, it's got a pretty aggressive sound to it.

BUT....when ever I'm towing the boat or the camper......it can get a little annoying when I'm having to go up some big grades if the transmission has to shift down and the RPM's get up higher than around 2,500.

Is there a muffler I can install that will kill some of the volume of the exhaust, but will still let you hear that awesome turbo whistle?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Many like the FTE resonator.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scherf
#7 ·
I can second that FTE resonator.... I put the 5”x32” resonator on my truck and it still has the flipping whistle (not as bad though) idle sounds good, cruising around town is also good, then when you do get on her the growl is mean. Also the cab drone is non existent at 70mph.... I’ll never put a muffler on a vehicle ever again after using this resonator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ​ DieselDC
#6 ·
​ DieselDC;6101570 said:
You and I both. Some of the 6.0 love the whistle. It’s cool the first few times “my turbo works yay” but chit, every damn stop light is just as annoying as my wife.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Ya I can third that, the flipping whistle sucks.....

#13 ·
I really feel a 5” exhaust is what causes the drone though, I have a 5” and it’s was awful before the resonator. But then I have a friend with the same truck and he has a 4”, and his truck didn’t drone even remotely as bad as mine.... both of our trucks were straight piped and had the normal single out the rear.

#14 ·
I've messed around with custom exhausts a bunch on gas motor trucks and cars.....and EVERYTHING effects the sound, tone, and drone of an exhaust. Pipe size, pipe length, number of bends in the pipe, type of muffler, position of muffler in the exhaust, where the muffler is in the exhaust, if there is also a resonator...what type of resonator, where the resonator is located (before or after muffler).

For those of you that have added resonators...where are you adding them? Back up under the cab, or in the middle of the truck, or out back closer to the exhaust tip?

#15 ·
I've messed around with custom exhausts a bunch on gas motor trucks and cars.....and EVERYTHING effects the sound, tone, and drone of an exhaust. Pipe size, pipe length, number of bends in the pipe, type of muffler, position of muffler in the exhaust, where the muffler is in the exhaust, if there is also a resonator...what type of resonator, where the resonator is located (before or after muffler).

For those of you that have added resonators...where are you adding them? Back up under the cab, or in the middle of the truck, or out back closer to the exhaust tip?

I’m not interested where folks have theirs - I’m interested on where you think is best. Whether it be just the muffler and where or it be both muffler and resonator and where. Based on what you know etc.

I have a cheap muffler on mine and it sounds awesome (to me) but I only have experience on four of my 7.3 thay play with.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

#16 ·
I've always seen people recommend putting a muffler/resonator as far forward as you can. As that will help prevent drone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I put resonators as far forward as possible, then a muffler would be right before the axle.... but I think with a muffler and resonator it would kill most of the sound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.