Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L 4R100 2WD

I am being told my PCM is rare. Why? What makes it different than an F250 crew cab? Honestly, why does it even matter? Its a 7.3L and a 4R100, that ought to be the same regardless of what vehicle it's in. A van, truck, excursion, etc. Enlighten me.

Meanwhile there doesn't seem to be any available.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
are you in california? i know cali vehicles use a different PCM due to cali emissions and different glow plug system.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,178 Posts
The Excursion PCM has PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) that the E and F Series do not have. That's the difference between the Excursion and the F-Series. The E-Series also has a detuned engine calibration compared to the other two.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Excursion PCM has PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) that the E and F Series do not have. That's the difference between the Excursion and the F-Series. The E-Series also has a detuned engine calibration compared to the other two.
I'm in FL.

Do I need PATS? I understand its some kind of anti theft system. I was under the impression it was a separate module.

So where do you guys get these things repaired?

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
Swamps can fix yours.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,178 Posts
I'm in FL.
Me, too!
Do I need PATS? I understand its some kind of anti theft system. I was under the impression it was a separate module.
PATS is a separate module. That module reads the chip in the key and sends a go or no go to the PCM. The Excursion PCM has to see the go signal or the engine won't start. The F-Series PCM doesn't look for that signal. If you put an F-Series PCM in the Excursion the PATS module would not be able to prevent a start. Other than that it will work fine. You could even cut keys that don't have a chip and it would start the engine.

Reactions: Proaudioguy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me, too!

PATS is a separate module. That module reads the chip in the key and sends a go or no go to the PCM. The Excursion PCM has to see the go signal or the engine won't start. The F-Series PCM doesn't look for that signal. If you put an F-Series PCM in the Excursion the PATS module would not be able to prevent a start. Other than that it will work fine. You could even cut keys that don't have a chip and it would start the engine.
This is fantastic information! Can you reference this anywhere? PATS is a PITA!

So I bought a repaired computer from a recommended outfit. Got a lifetime warranty. Not sure what that really covers as I didn't handle it. $953 with tax. If I knew I could use any old F250 computer, I would certainly have tried that. My truck has been down for about 5 or 6 weeks. The last week was due to the thing not starting after the PCM swap. I tried Forscan to initialize, but it failed every time. The wisdom of the internet and several documents says PATS has to have a Parameter reset, and then a KAM for the PCM, which clears the keep alive memory. The PATS reset I could not do but the KAM was simple enough. I finally got the lock smith over here and in about 45 seconds he had the truck started, NO SCANNER NEEDED, just swapping the keys back and forth until the THEFT light went out. That was the final $60, but the truck runs. The diagnoses was almost $300. I spent roughly $1300 to replace that damn PCM. I would LOVE PATS to be gone. I could not get answers anywhere as to why my PCM was so damn special. Thanks for the information. Now I want to get my hands on an F250 PCM and try it.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,178 Posts
This is fantastic information! Can you reference this anywhere? PATS is a PITA!
Sure can!

I got this from the person that for three years released all F-250/350/450/550 and Excursion software for production. His name is Mark Kovalsky.

·
POWER Junkie
344 Posts
Most Excursions have a glow plug module instead of a relay. Not sure if that makes a difference on the PCM that you use. But take that into consideration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For Mark K regarding your reply in #8
Mark, I was researching replacement PCM options and came across this thread, where I think you say I could use an F250 PCM in my 2002 Excursion 7.3 4x4 Limited.
I have been having a problem where if the pressure switch on the master brake cylinder is connected, my O/D doesn't work using the button on shift lever, but I can turn the O/D On/Off with a firm press of the brake pedal. So I took it to a Ford dealer and this is what they say:

They checked all the wiring and PCM and this is what they came up with:
When the brake pedal is applied, it caused the power sent to the PCM on pin 31 to bleed over internally to have power to it 3.8V on pin 29, causing the PCM to think the OD switch had been pushed. Also removed PCM to test wiring, no shorts in wiring. OHM test between pin 31 & 29 was 3.7 OHMS, should have Open Circuit / No Connection.
PCM needs replaced / repaired.

Previously I had taken it to another Ford dealer, and they gave me no specifics, other than the PCM was bad. Because of that, I sent my PCM TO SIA Electronics for Diag / Repair. SIA said they ran their diagnosis and found no problems.

So..... I'm not sure what to do next, but try and find a replacement PCM. There seems to be a lot more F250s out there than Excursions, so based on your comment in the above thread, can I I fact use something other than an Excursion PCM? or could you advise where I might find a PCM that would work. I don't care about the PATS.
My current PCM is:
DPC-492 2C3F-12A650-AC NQW2

I live in Florida & South Dakota.

THANX in Advance

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,178 Posts
I do not know about the glow plug relay/module. If they are the same then there will be no difference between the PCMs in an F-Series and an Excursion.

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
I would give swamps a call. They can repair yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts