Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
PSN local
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have 97 obs and it completely stock but I am thinking about do some upgrades. I'm going to do stage one injectors,exhaust, turbo, and intercooler. My questions is do I need to go with a turbo with wastegate or turbo non wastegate? And what brand intercooler should I go with. I'm not wanting to go crazy horsepower but a little more power and Getty up and go

·
Registered
909 Posts
bringing this over here, a WW2 is a billet turbo wheel for the stock OBS turbo. I have one with stage 1s and I love it

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have everything u want except a intercooler & as Long as i manage my temps with gauges the truck is amazing but regardless probably gonna need to do some transmission mods so it lives under the new found power. Trust me u will Like the go pedal alot more

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
Dieselsite.com, ~$230 I believe, don't quote me, while it's off spend the $110 for a 360° thrust bearing+rebuild kit

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Does anybody ever search here or via google? There are a metric crap ton of threads on the WW2 as well as "which turbo" and intercoolers. The OBS doesn't use a wastegated turbo.

The WW2 won't make any extra boost on stock injectors. You need more fuel to make boost on an OBS. I have a WW2 on a D66 turbo and a 1.0 exhaust housing. With stock injectors I made the exact same boost as I had stock. It just got the turbo wound up at a much lower RPM.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Does anybody ever search here or via google? There are a metric crap ton of threads on the WW2 as well as "which turbo" and intercoolers. The OBS doesn't use a wastegated turbo.
:whs:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I would use the stock turbo, I've put in the WW2's and notimpressed they do help down low but run out of air where you need it towing.

Stage 1's a DIY or Banks IC and good tunes makes a great combination.

If I can help we know OBS trucks..PM me.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Well id put a ww2 in so it spools nice & quick I mean for 230 bucks why not

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
PSN local
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What websites have any of you used to buy aftermarket exhaust downpipe and exhaust kits

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
What websites have any of you used to buy aftermarket exhaust downpipe and exhaust kits
I got mine off eBay for 215 shipped, diamond eye kit, 3" dp, 5" all the way back and a 7" tip all new in box. I'd just do a google search if I were u, or pm obswiz for a price.

·
PSN local
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know the obs does not have wastegate turbo. I was meaning aftermarket. So what you are saying is if you put a aftermarket wastegate turbo on you have to change the pcm? And how much boost can you have exactly have before it defuels?

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Stock, 24psi on some PCM types, other OBS PCMs do not defuel. Mine does not defuel, just sets a CEL for P-0238 turbo overboost at 24psi. Either tunes or boost foolers can mask the MAP pressure that the PCM sees to prevent defueling or setting of the CEL.

The wastegate is just not needed on the OBS turbo, they use a 1.15 exhaust housing.

The SDs use them since they have something like a 0.84 exhaust housing for faster turbo boost response, then the wastegate relieves pressure at higher boost, otherwise there would be excessive exhaust backpressure due to the exhaust housing being too restrictive.

If you are running an aftermarket turbo, you would be using custom tunes that would address the turbo boost, not changing PCMs. There's no stock PCMs that address boost pressures, say, in the 60psi range.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts