Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My condo attic gets really hot in the summer. It has a very tall ceiling with the trusses in it. ( I think the proper term is truss) Anyway, it gets really hot and I use a lot of energy trying to cool this place, so I am thinking that it may help by getting rid of some of the super hot air hanging over me. The HVAC is in the attic also, so it is all being warmed by the hot attic air.
What kind of fans do they make that will vent the attic heat? I thought they made some fans that when a certain temp is reached they will spin and exhaust the heat.
Currently there is only a soffit ridge vent near the gutters. Thanks.

·
Administrator
32,962 Posts
they make gable end t stat vents if you have room otherwise they have the power roof top vents either way it's going to help IMHO

or since it sounds like you have nothing at the ridge even some whirly bird vents would help

·
Administrator
8,544 Posts
eaves vent and a ridge vent. best way to vent an attic space.

you keep the eaves open with a vented panel, and on the ridge you cut a 2 inch wide opening. one inch on each side of the peak. then a mesh goes over the opening, and a special ridge cap goes over the mesh.

cool air comes in the eaves and hot air goes out through the ridge vent.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Have you looked into this?

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11680

When I lived in Va. my neighbor had this installed in his attic. It was a reflective plastic film that was stapled to the rafters. His house was 40 years old with black shingles, his attic during the summer would reach >130* after it stayed <110*.

I don't know about energy savings but he told me the air conditioner was running less and the house was much cooler.

I have the bubble type reflective barrier installed on my workshop (dark green) tin roof, I think it is rated at R-4. My shop stays much cooler than my Father in-laws shop (Same size with tin roof) His does not have the barrier installed.

Google radiant barrier, lots of good info and supplier info for do it your self types.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
They make and install radiant barriers in san antonio that drastically reduce the heat in the attic. They use ridge vents and a silver material similar to the common blue plastic woven tarps. They are silver/ chrome looking. They run the material from the eves to the top of the roof line and last summer I saw 5-10 houses that had them. On a 90+ degree day the attics would be 80-85. Even on a 100+ day the attics were less than 90 degrees. I am not sure where they get the material and the install would be a pita but from the people that had it installed it made a huge dent in their electric bills. I would wager just having material that directs air to draft the roofline (which is the principle used) would do the same without the reflective material. The idea best I can gather from looking at them is they move air inbetween the roof and the barrier. The air insulates heat infiltration thus leaving the attic cooler since the heated air rises and the cooler air is drawn in during the heat rise to replace it. Might not make sense to everyone but it is very effective for cooling a attic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you live in a condo don't go putting holes in the building without talking to condo association. Depending on how the condo docs are drawn you dont own the siding, roof of structure. Talk to the manager before you do anything.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I am aware of the mechanics of the association. I don't touch a thing until approved.
I have a ridge vent, but they say it can be opened more. They would have to cut back the wood on each side of the peak.
They believe I may not be able to have the gable vents because there is word the condo had them originally, but they resulted in pipes freezing. I guess they ran some of the pipes near them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
on my house i have an attic vent with a built in fan (maybe 10" diameter) which is controlled by a thermistat in the attic. runs on 110v.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Be careful on oversizing the attic fans with too much volume. I put two rated at 2000 sqft each in my 2400 sqft house. My utility bills went up because it was pulling the ac out of the house through the ceiling. I turned one off and my bills went back down and the ac quit running as much.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
The material I was talking about was for sale at costco the other day. It was not to expensive.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
FYI- I've had problems w/ the silver radiant barriers limiting mobile phone reception drastically in single story homes. No problem in 2 stories however.

I don't have a home phone and I answer business calls 24/ 7 so this is a huge deal to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts