Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I started up the truck in a cooler temperature since the head gaskets/oil cooler/all brand new injectors/bunch of miscellaneous this past spring summer. At first I thought it sounded like a bad exhaust leak, but I haven't been able to find anything. Also, the noise seems to completely disappear once it's at operating temperature and had been driven for a while. The sound appears to follow an exponential decay (loud right after starting, soon gets substantially quieter, takes a while to completely go away). Also, the noise doesn't come back until the truck had been off for a long time and/or completely cooled.
Of course I feared the worse and thought a lifter, but that wouldn't go away once it's warm, would it? I haven't been able to find any exhaust manifold leaks and I'm suspecting them less because of the amount of time the thing has to cool before the noise comes back. What about injectors? I'm thinking more it's an injector noise. Is this normal, or is something wrong with one injector?
I have a friend with a Snap-On scanner who will hopefully be able to run a cylinder balance test for me. If it's an injector, would it show up here? I wonder if I should have the test run hot or cold?
Any other checks I should be doing?
Here's a video. You can hear the noise best in the first five seconds of the video. I can't hear anything at no load/idle, but the noise is proportional with increasing load and is much more pronounced at low RPM. When it gets colder I'll try and get a better video:
The best way I can describe it is a clapping noise and seems to match frequency with an individual cylinder firing frequency.
This has me a bit worried and a bit frustrated. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
If you are talking about the rattling type noise that is injector noise and is normal. I really didn’t hear anything abnormal but it’s tough to tell from the video

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys may be right. This may be nothing. I was thinking about it, and the first time I heard the noise was the first time I've started the truck in temperatures around the 40°F temperature range. Boy oh boy, it sure is noisy when it's cold! It gets me though because once it's warm it's super quiet. Cruising it's almost quiet like a common rail diesel. It just seems like when it's cold one injector (assuming it's an injector noise) it about five times louder than the rest. I'm sure it wasn't this loud with the original injectors.
I guess for now I'll just monitor it. If it gets worse I'll post back. When the temperature get really cold we'll see how it behaves then. I'll take another video then.
Thank a lot guys!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning was ~32°F and man was it loud! So, I did some more extensive searching. On another forum thread it appeared I'm not the only one with these noise. One guy even described it something like "sounds like a part are trying to escape the engine." Yep, that's pretty accurate. It's loud.
No one seemed to come up with a definite cause/cure, but one of the final posts said he's seen multiple times exhaust manifold leaks be at fault for these noises. I'm really regretting installing those manifold to head gaskets.
So, as far as diagnosing exhaust leaks, I found a Youtube video of a guy with one of our trucks hooking up the exhaust of a shop vac to the tailpipe (thus adding a positive pressure to the exhaust system) and using soapy water around the manifolds to find leaks. It seems like a good method and I'll probably try it, unless someone has a good reason I should not?
What really gets me about this is it completely goes away once it's hot. Being cold this morning it took longer, but when I got to work (59 mile trip) it was fine. There may have been a little of the noise left, but definitely nothing I'd be concerned about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts