Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any idea what this is and why it was floating in the transmission pan? The vehicle is a 2004 F150. Was changing fluid on it and went to pour the fluid out of the pan and this was rolling around in there. I have no idea how long it has been in there. The last trans fluid change was 60k ago and was done before I worked here, it was taken somewhere for that service. I guess it could have fallen since then, or if they just sucked the fluid out and didn't remove the pan, it could have been in there from the factory. I could not find any place that seemed like it would go into. The truck ran fine and had no transmission issues with this in the pan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I believe that is a plug they used at the factory to keep stuff out of the dipstick tube until the dipstick was inserted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Definitely a factory dipstick tube plug and a very definite clue that the trans pan has never been removed and cleaned before. Had a 1997 f150 in my shop with 167,000 on the truck and a bad pump growl, and the plug was still floating around in there! Due to budget restraints, the customer wanted to try a filter and new fluid, against our better judgement..... Believe it or not he has lasted 6 months and it is still hanging in there but the shifts are getting more aggressive with time. Another transmission on borrowed time.

The design of the plug was to allow the assembly plant to just push the dipstick extension into the case opening and it simply pushed the plug into the pan where it did no harm and also told the repair shop what you have discovered.... Trans filter was probably never replaced!:mad:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was about the only thing I could think of it being. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts