Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger OEM wheel bearing has 36k miles, the driver side is unknown. Truck has 78,500 miles. I get this strong and loud vibration only if I am in the throttle. If I am coasting the noise is gone, If I am in the throttle 1% the noise returns. The noise gets worse if I engage 4WD. The noise doesn't change if I am turning right or left. Which is what everyone says to try to see if it's a wheel bearing.

I can remove the drive shaft and see if the noise goes away, but the U joints have no play and everything seems tight.

What to check or what do you think it is?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a similar problem a couple months ago. Had it looked at, turned out the driveshaft needed to be rebalanced.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Carrier bearing

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Could be the down pipe hitting the frame or firewall

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not coming from the back though, it's coming from the front. Or so it seems.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Check that down pipe

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The down pipe, Why would engaging 4WD make it louder? The noise is similar to driving around with some Super Swamper Boggers.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Because when you are accelerating the motor is twisting can cause the down pipe (exhaust) to shift thus hitting the firewall/frame causing the vibration it can be loud and carries through the truck makes it hard to tell where it's coming from just check it takes two minutes

·
Registered
115 Posts
tc shutter?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's that?/\

·
Registered
115 Posts
torque converter shutter. Also i would double check that carrier bearing as mine is currently shot and i have similar symptoms as you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out it was the rear u joint and carrier bearing. I had a shop check it, apparently they didn't actually check it. I got under there and looked at this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That's what I said good you got it fixed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts