Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95, F250 7.3
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve been doing some research on this. Supposedly there is some kinda en acid in ELC coolant that’s not compatible with 97 and before motors. Supposedly it has “incompatible seals”. Any idea what that exactly means???

Is the injector cup sealant the same throughout all 7.3 years?? What about the head gasket??

Loctite 620 is standard for injector cups, which I have just replaced. I’d assume the HG is the same or super similar - as all 7.3’s share the same longblock short of some minor changes

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have always been under the impression that the the OAT-type coolants were incompatible with the 94-97 injector cups themselves. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Patrick - If you were to use RiffRaff's stainless steel cups would you be able to use the Oat-type coolants?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
It is my understanding that the cups are fine but it was the sealant that Navistar used. I also heard that they changed to a different sealant starting in 99.

·
Registered
95, F250 7.3
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well injector cups are brass. Is the heater core or factory radiator a one piece, brazed, all metal unit?? Unclear as to how ELC can be incompatible with this stuff. Furthermore, the cups are actually quite thick, would take a significant amount of corrosion to eat through that

I could understand the injector cup sealant theory.

Is the HG the same throughout the years?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I may be out to lunch and Bugman is correct on the sealant issue. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
It is the sealant. Only issue on the early trucks, iirc. So they "updated" the recommended sealant.
Also not to go too far off, many haven't had good luck with the stainless cups.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I may be out to lunch and Bugman is correct on the sealant issue. Cheers!
I'm just going on what I remember reading.

However there have been those who claim that they are running ELC with zero problems in the OBS trucks.

For me it isn't that hard to run the heavy duty green coolant and to check the SCA's once a year and then do a flush every 3 or 4 years. It is a good time to replace hoses anyway and it is easier with no coolant in them.

·
Registered
95, F250 7.3
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand now.

I just switched to Riffraffs nifty stainless cups and Loctite 620. Imma continue flushing the system and run Delo ELC

Maybe the ELC caused the original cup sealant to fail in the first place. Water under the bridge...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts