Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the main difference is in the 2000 through 2002 models? What changed in the engine? What is the best year of the 3 to buy, or isn't there much difference? Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do forged rods make a big difference? Sorry new to powerstrokes and don't know a whole lot about motors in general.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
so did they only put them in the 99 and some 2000?
according to this months diesel power PMRs are found in engines with serial numbers 1425747. but some forged rods were found in engines with serial numbers 1440713-1498318. after thet they went back to pmrs.

I am just quoting dieselpower mag so dont flame me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless you are planning on hoping the crap out of it you will be fine. Yes the forged rods are better but unless you are planning on pushing over 400ish HP then just get the best truck for your $$

My 03 was turned up a bit and I never had a problem with the rods. Lost a engine due to a injector but not the rods. All though the new block has forged rods now. :ford:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The first run of PMRs was entirely in 2000 but a small number of the total made. Early 2000 had forged somewhere inthe middle they were pmrs. Then late 2000 to early 2001 had forged again. Final switch to PMRs was in 2001. All you need to do is find the serial number list on here and copy it down print it out whatever. Take it with you. Then lok at the engien serial number whihc is on cthe drivers side valve cover. There have been some that shoudl have had PMR that had forged but so far I have not seen one that was in the serial number to have forged that ended up with PMRs.

We are speaking of engine make date not vehicle. I have a 2001 Excursion that was built in late 2000. It has Forged rods and it was smack right in the middle of the run of forged after the first run of PMR and befoer the final switch.

IF you can before you buy take the inspection port plug out and look. There are instruction how on the site. Someone will put a link if you ask.

Forged is only important if you plan to do performance upgrades. If all you plan is something mild its not a big deal.

There were some interior and gauge changes for 02.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only things I plan on doing at this time would be to straight pipe it, gauges, chip, and put an intake on it. Is the intake a big deal on the 7.3? And if I put one on, is it goin to make a loud humming noise in the winter time? Because the one I had on my f150 did.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
By itself on a stock truck, a better intake will give your truck better response. You will for sure hear more noise. I would not call it a hum, more like a loud whistle (turbos whistle and scream, they do not hum).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know what an intake sounds like. I just know that in the winter time on my f150 it makes a super loud like humming noise not the whistle noise they usually make. The noise on my f150 in the winter you can hear with the windows up and radio on and it does it when your not moving. when I stop it starts a loud humming type noise and when I start driving it goes away. I was wondering if they do that on diesels in the winter as well because its super annoying.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
I am happy my 2000 #'s is 13K

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
how do you look through this hole if the engine is still in the truck? i cant find a serial number anywhere on the valve cover, can ford give me the serial number?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts