Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spybot, and ccleaner. I wanted regcure, but you have to pay. I have Norton internet security aswell. I think there are times when I have a process running on my computer. The fan will kick in for no reason, as I am not even using the computer. What is the diff between spybot, ccleaner and regcure? The spybot might take 1/2 hour, ccleaner only takes about a minute and I don't have regcure. Thanks.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
For spyware, I run Superantispware.com always works for me. And it is free.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Malwarebytes is also a good one
I use the free version, you just have to do updates manually
I don't have any experiance with the software you listed, but I have seen good reviews of spybot

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
spybot and ccleaner remove different things and always worked very well together for me. never heard of the other one, but i wouldnt pay for it. what OS are you running? windows vista and 7 shouldn't need too much cleaning up, as this was one of the things microsoft worked on after xp. still doesnt hurt to be sure though! as for antivirus, i use AVG free. it uses quite a bit of your compter's resources, but is better than most of the pay-to-use stuff. i have used it to clean up a few computers that had norton and mcafee but still got viruses!

·
Registered
920 Posts
spybot and ccleaner remove different things and always worked very well together for me. never heard of the other one, but i wouldnt pay for it. what OS are you running? windows vista and 7 shouldn't need too much cleaning up, as this was one of the things microsoft worked on after xp. still doesnt hurt to be sure though! as for antivirus, i use AVG free. it uses quite a bit of your compter's resources, but is better than most of the pay-to-use stuff. i have used it to clean up a few computers that had norton and mcafee but still got viruses!
:whs:

I used Spybott to clean my system then deleted it. I use AVG free and Ccleaner.

I was told by a computer Guru that Spybott was good to use initially to find malware and get rid of it. AVG would keep the malware out of the system after that. He said it didn't make sense to load up both and leave them running all of the time.

I also use Registry Mechanic, there was a bunch of old files in my registry that Ccleaner wasn't removing. It seems to work well and was rated high by Cnet and PC world.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is registry mechanic free or is it a pay software? Thanks. I am going to look into the AVG.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Norton is the worst thing you can have on your system..

AVG, Malwares, Superanti spyware and Spy ware blaster..all free.

·
FNG
6,017 Posts
AVG, CCleaner Mbam and Webroot spy sweeper work well.

Superantispyware.com is actually spyware and places more on your computer:doh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Norton blows! And it uses way to many system resources. If your copy of Windows is legit ;) you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. It runs quietly in the background and doesn't slow your system. Dude Norton is the worst hog, seriously. As far as spyware, the Microsoft Security Essentials works well for that too. If you run a browser like Firefox, you really don't need to worry about spyware much. They have got it down now-a-days. And all those "regestry fixer upper" programs are a joke, don't waste your time.

If you have a hacked copy of Windows :postwhore2:, don't download it.

-eric

·
P.F.F.
177 Posts
Norton blows! And it uses way to many system resources. If your copy of Windows is legit ;) you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. It runs quietly in the background and doesn't slow your system. Dude Norton is the worst hog, seriously. As far as spyware, the Microsoft Security Essentials works well for that too. If you run a browser like Firefox, you really don't need to worry about spyware much. They have got it down now-a-days. And all those "regestry fixer upper" programs are a joke, don't waste your time.

If you have a hacked copy of Windows :postwhore2:, don't download it.

-eric
:whs: Norton has been known for making the average computer run slow.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crap, looks like I will be letting my Norton expire. Thanks guys. I will look into the above mentioned products. Thanks.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Is registry mechanic free or is it a pay software? Thanks. I am going to look into the AVG.
Registry mechanic is $39.00 for two years and is licensed for Three computers. I bought it do to the slow boot times (a great indicator of registry issues). Vista was taking longer then 7 minutes to boot. I was using Ccleaner prior to that and thought it was doing a decent job on my Registry.

After installing Registry Mechanic it found 270 Registry issues (most related to previously deleted software). My computer now boots in less then 4 minutes.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts