Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is engine oil temp, antifreeze temp are inputs to PCM which in turn activate Glow plug relay, any other inputs like barometric pressure? Getting white smoke and a reluctance to fire up in cooler weather, now. Plugged in fires (for couple hours) right up Thing is I replaced all the GPs (yes Ford OEM new GPS and tested prior to install) when I did FFD injectors within this last year. Just replaced starter with SD gear reduction one and charged batteries individually. As well I replaced the glow plug relay (was a Stancor 586-902) with a spare I had on parts truck of same type. Have ordered a new White Rogers (Stancor) 586-902, just not in yet. I can cross the posts on the relay and it seems to work better then key activation so might be bad relay(s) which would be very unusual as these are top drawer products.... guess I’ll see when the new one gets in. Just wanted to double check on inputs for relay activation... not put a scanner on it yet either.

Thanks fellas.
J

·
PSN intsigator
7,003 Posts
How are your injectors, age and mileage. Kinda sounds like the actuator needs to be shimed. Your symptoms are exactly what the shiming fixes. I bought my kit on ebay for $70.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was told a while back during my baro fiasco that the baro reading and oil temp reading effect cycle time. That said, I'm up to 3 or 4 trucks I've encountered now that cycle the glow plugs fine, even though the baro reading is way off. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, just something to consider.

I'm with Doc wondering how old and what brand your rebuilt injectors are, I know you told me but I can't recall.

My truck will act that way with a failing GPR also, I've measured the voltage drop across the relay, 1.5 volts or more and it starts funny. I timed the cold cycle at 1 minute 48 seconds. What's your cycle time?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Factory PCED says the glowplug on time is a function of EOT, BARO, and battery voltage. I know my 94 with almost 250k on the factory injectors (some armature clearances were down to 0.0015" with others at 0.002") was starting to have cold start issues without plugging in. That was with the Stancor relay and new ZD-11 plugs too. I wouldn't think your FFD injectors would have that issue though. Cheers!

Reactions: Blue-Truck-Nut97

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Fellas, Full Force Diesel injectors installed Nov 2, 2019 with about 14,000 kms (8500 miles) on them now. New ZD-11s installed at the time too and I tested them all prior to install. Shall check voltage across relay and see how long I’ve had those yellow top optimas in the truck. Will also see how long relay stays on. I’ll run a scan too with AE to see if anything comes up, as well as Baro readings. Wondering if it could also be a weak HPOP? Was gonna swap in a newly rebuilt T500 that I’ve had returned from Joey just not made time to install. It acts just like the GP relay has gone out. Perhaps the Stancors I have are done, as I’ve had them (two) for some time now, fact I’ve never had one fail ever. Will know better soon as I’ve ordered new one should be here soon.
Thanks again,
j

1 - 5 of 5 Posts