Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be the wrong forum but I am in process of converting my F-450 Powerstroke from a Utility to a dump truck and on the way from the welding shop to have them check out how to start the work after I had taken the Utility box off a strange thing happened.

Now I am driving a cab and chassis with over inflated rear dually's but going down the road all of a sudden it felt like I was driving over 6" speed bumps on the road, the truck was bouncing violently and pulled extremely hard to the left as I was bringing it to a stop.

I hobbled over to a parking lot and got out, expecting to see a disaster under the truck. I had actually looked back in the rear view mirror as I was bringing the bucking bronco to a halt and fully expected to see one of the rear wheels rolling down the road back there.

I looked underneath, everything looked fine, nothing dragging or loose so got back in hoping to nurse it down the road to a shop about 1/2 a mile away. Everything worked just fine, rode smooth, shifted through all 5 gears.

Got home first thing I checked was differential oil, it was to the top and looked clean.

What could be the cause? I am guessing something in the brakes broke loose and jammed up so am having a brake shop check all wheels, brakes. Truck is driving smooth, no noises but am spooked. If this were to happen at highway speed it would be a disaster. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
hung caliper that released after the stop would be suspect for the hard left

the hopping IDK it may have been death wobble? was the steering wheel oscillating

obviously, the truck dynamics changed when you removed the utility bed weight this can effect handling

but the end result will put the weight back on ( dump bed and rams /etc ) so it may all return to normal

(other than the hard left )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, never heard of the term "Death Wobble" so not sure what that means other than I was scared to death and can't remember if steering wheel was wig wagging since I was clutching it tightly.

Good thing I was only going around 30 mph when it happened.

Yes, the heavy box and ladder rack being removed made the rear end prone to bouncing since the tires are inflated to maximum and the new steel with the dump will bring things back to more stability

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I know my 94 dually would get really squirrelly with the rears at 85 psi and no load. This was always due to the tire jockeys neglecting my instructions to put only 60 in the tires. I would get home and air them down and all was good. Once you get more weight back on it it should get better. Cheers!

·
Kid with a dream
5 Posts
One time I got a fat ass rock stuck in between the two tires on the left side of a dually rear and as soon as I got up to 10ish mph it felt like I was hopping down the section road. So I stopped and found the rock. Took a big hammer and some motivation to get it out. Sounds like just another crazy incident to me

·
don't play well w others
3,661 Posts
Bobtailing in a tractor trailer is just like that

You never know when you hit a bad patch of road with a light rear/heavy front. Makes the rear try to pass the front. Normal just be careful

I'm sure Tom will be along to comment on this.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
It might be a while, isn’t Tom at the mall playing Santa right now?

·
don't play well w others
3,661 Posts
I don't think so. after the "incident" with the pet store pets at the mall, pretty sure he's banned from the mall now.

·
7,985 Posts
Bobtailing in a tractor trailer is just like that

You never know when you hit a bad patch of road with a light rear/heavy front. Makes the rear try to pass the front. Normal just be careful

I'm sure Tom will be along to comment on this.

been there, done that, and it sure wakes you up!

It might be a while, isn’t Tom at the mall playing Santa right now?
not yet, that gig don't start until next friday.

I don't think so. after the "incident" with the pet store pets at the mall, pretty sure he's banned from the mall now.

that was Timmy the petvert, and you damn well know it!!

·
don't play well w others
3,661 Posts
Timmy, Tommy.

spelling pretty close...….
I or o...…..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts