Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 7.3 with manual trans.

Dont know much about diesels. What gauges do i need to have?

I would like to know my exact oil psi than dealing with the stock ford dummy gauge.

Fuel psi?

Turbo psi?

Anything else?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Really its personal preference. But id like to know EGT’s and tranny temp plus the ones you mentioned

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I have isspro gauges. I like them. I have egt, boost, and fuel pressure. If I could do it over again it would be the cts2 with the Comp kit. Yeah it’s spendy but you can monitor quite a bit. Like ipr, icp, ebp, oil temp and possibly coolant temp, plus tons more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Agreed with Sbluke55. The CTS2 comp kit (which I have) is the way to go. I have an actual boost sensor ported into the Y, fuel pressure, and EGT plus everything else the PCM monitors. I have 9 different PIDs displayed on the screen at one time and all are very easy to read and change/customize. I put the adapted pod that mounts on top of the dash and it does not block any field of vision and blends in (the pod is color matched). So much better than having gauges scattered all over between a pillar, steering column, above rear-view mirror, under cup holder, etc.

One spot. Everything I need. Easy. A little expensive, but not when you start adding 4-6 mechanical gauges and associated pods and wiring. Mine has one cord to the screen and then the easy daisy chain style hookups for EGT, Boost, and Fuel Pressure (these just plug into each other; no real "wiring").

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
the cts2 gauge sounds like a good way to go as long as it doesn't connect to the data link connector unless the sd truck ports don't go to sleep like the obs do. i have a manual trans and i monitor boost, egts, and coolant temp with auto meter gauges ( link posted below). no you do not need to monitor your trans temp even though it has a pump and runs through the oil cooler built into your radiator. fuel psi would be a good thing but i have a port on the fuel filter housing i added i check once and a while. is the dumby guage on the dash oil temp or psi?

https://lmr.com/item/ATM-880077/auto-meter-ford-racing-water-temp-gauge-880077?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=comparison-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping-v2&adpos=1o7&scid=scplpATM-880077&sc_intid=ATM-880077&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj7nvrvjx2gIVV7jACh2EEAY6EAYYByABEgKDYvD_BwE

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
College Student
191 Posts
I would go with the insight cts2
I have the 3 pod glowshift pyro, turbo and tranny tow max gauges and havent had a problem with them for over 3 years now. But if I were to do it again, I would go with a single screen monitor. Smaller, does more stuff and doesnt make that side of the cab "look busy". IMO, anything over 3 gauges on the pillar is alot to have out of the corner of my eye when driving.

Torque pro or forscan on a cheep tablet is another route with a bluetooth adapter.
I use that route when driving with my phone on the dash as well as the existing gauges I already have. I just havent looked for a cheep android tablet yet.

·
1,096 Posts
If I had it to do over, I'd get Gale Banks "Data Monster." There's enough data gathered to do some really good work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts