Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to suspension mods, I need to run a stack on my truck. I'm looking for something that doesn't spew wet soot after it rains and something that is a bit quieter in the cab.

What do you think of this setup ?

I'd probably mount it a couple inches higher than the cab.

How are stacks when you pull a 5th wheel, if your truck doesn't smoke ?

Should I mount it in the very corner of the bed, ie outside the frame rail or should I mount it inside the rail, like the youtube truck ?

Thanks

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
What could you POSSIBLY have done to your suspension to HAVE to run stacks.

A stack will blacken you camper, just look at 18 wheelers when pulling a white box trailer.

Unless you put a cover over the stack EVERY time, you will get water in it, no matter what stack you have

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What could you POSSIBLY have done to your suspension to HAVE to run stacks.
Air bags, panhard bar. There is no room to get the pipe over the axle.

Unless you put a cover over the stack EVERY time, you will get water in it, no matter what stack you have
I was hoping that the curved outlet would help in this regard. Lots of construction equipment has that and I don't see them having soot on the hoods.

????

·
Rock Steady
959 Posts
I have a couple of 1/4" holes drilled at th lowest point in my exhaust and have never seen any water running out of them , and when I am under the truck I poke the hole with a piece of 7018 welding rod to esure their not blocked. My $.02

I am with Brad on the trailer , if I was a camper think I figure out a different route.

·
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
145 Posts
Can you run a simple turnout in front of the rear wheel? That way you don't have to go by the axle.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you run a simple turnout in front of the rear wheel? That way you don't have to go by the axle.
I ran that on my old truck. It works.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ive seen quite a few guys run it in front of the wheel, including me. Your camper wont get black, but your rear wheel will.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive seen quite a few guys run it in front of the wheel, including me. Your camper wont get black, but your rear wheel will.
If you keep the smoke under control, the wheel doesn't get very dirty.

I think I still want to run a stack. I should just do it and if I don't like it, take it off. Its only a hole in the box floor.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So if you've got air bags and a track bar, do you have a 4 link rear? If so I'd like to see some pics :evil

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have you considered a turn down in front of the axle? I think the stack being close to the window would suck the exhaust into the cab.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
that hole in your box will be the MOST annoying thing you have ever known! YES this includes inlaws!!! don't do the stack! run a turnout underneath where you can't even see the tip at all. you'll be much happier than having to put a hole in your bed. my truck had a stack and now I have to weld a hole shut! as well as my gooseneck hitch needs to be welded shut too!...WORST IDEA EVER!!

Chad

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that hole in your box will be the MOST annoying thing you have ever known! YES this includes inlaws!!! don't do the stack! run a turnout underneath where you can't even see the tip at all. you'll be much happier than having to put a hole in your bed. my truck had a stack and now I have to weld a hole shut! as well as my gooseneck hitch needs to be welded shut too!...WORST IDEA EVER!!
Chad
OK, thanks for the heads up.

What didn't you like about running a stack ?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well whenever it rained and I forgot to cap it the soot would fly all over my truck. Even while driving in the rain the soot went on my cab. The exhaust drone in the cab while driving was ridiculous, and incredibly annoying. Just my personal preference...and now I have to watch how I pack my truck bc I havent covered the hole yet amd crap falls out of the hole....

Chad

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well whenever it rained and I forgot to cap it the soot would fly all over my truck. Even while driving in the rain the soot went on my cab. The exhaust drone in the cab while driving was ridiculous, and incredibly annoying. Just my personal preference...and now I have to watch how I pack my truck bc I havent covered the hole yet amd crap falls out of the hole....

Chad
Were you running a muffler with your stack ?

What tunes were you running and how smoky were they that you got all that soot ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
put a cotter pin in the hole and fold it over .The vibration will keep the hole clean just like the model a ford bellhousing drain hole

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Rain Cap will solve the rain problem, and it looks cool to, well kinda

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Rock Steady
959 Posts
OK , have to wait till sunday cause none of my kids are home and they are the ones that help me upload pics.

What exactly do you wanna see ? So I know what to focus on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts