Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2005 f250 king ranch CCSB, with only 52,000 miles. very clean truck, has some minor scratches on the outside nothing major at all. brand new tires all the way around. new brakes rotors and calipers all the way around. dealership was asking 29,997. talked him down to 27,997. i let the truck go for about 2 weeks and couldn't stop thinking about it so i went back and bought it. the dealership gave me a 5 year 100,000 powertrain warranty. the 100,000 started the day i purchased it. BUT doesn't start until 90 days after the contract purchase date. so i bought it and the next day i start it and popped the hood, alternator is about on fire, smoke rolling off it and melting everything around it. then i get a check engine light for the mass air flow sensor and the egr valve. so i called the dealership and the owner tells me pick a shop i trust and take it there to get fixed at his cost. got the truck fixed, he paid the full amount. few hours later after picking it up the light comes back on, anyway after a little digging i found out it had a EGR delete on it and thats why it kept trowing a code, which i thought cool one less thing i need to do. now i get home from work today and i get in it to go for a ride, come back, pop the hood and its puking coolant of of the over flow. the coolant level is right at the MAX line when the motor is hot. so are the HGs blown or is the coolant level to high? love the truck but i think i might have gotten stuck with a truck that might keep having problems.....sorry for the rant, just looking for a little advice .

·
Registered
683 Posts
You been running the truck without the egr?? Is it tuned?

·
powersmoker73
222 Posts
It sounds like a cool truck with pretty low miles. Is there any way you can have someone you know check it out, and if it points toward the dreaded HG's then wait til that sweet warranty kicks in? I know i can't be without my truck for more than a day but just a thought

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, its deleted. no it is not tuned.

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had a local diesel mechanic check it out, owns damn near the same truck as i do, and he said its a really nice tight truck. but the coolant wasnt pushing out at the time he looked it over. ive only gotten into twice and it was only for a few seconds.

·
powersmoker73
222 Posts
I would guess he checked, but whats the coolant level at when the trucks cold?

·
Registered
683 Posts
its going to keep on throwing codes until you find a tuner to shut the egr off.

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im ordering a x3 soon, but i wanted to try and see if my HGs were blown first.

·
Registered
683 Posts
you would need pressure test it. Ask your mechanic.

·
powersmoker73
222 Posts
In MA we've used the emissions test equipment to see if there's hydrocarbons coming outa the radiator to determine bad HG's. Maybe ur tech can do somethin similar

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damn i was hoping there was some kind of test i could do at home.

·
Nose picker
426 Posts
It's hard to diagnose symptoms over the internet vs. having the truck in front of you. I think you did get F'd on the deal. Reading your post it sounds like the previous owner was having puking issues so they deleted the EGR cooler thinking it was going to fix the puking. Well the puking continued and they probably cleaned it up and traded the truck in for something else. But on the other hand they could've added to much coolant when they topped of the system after the delete.

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
knew someone was going to say that, and thats what i was afraid of. should i drain some?

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts
I would guess he checked, but whats the coolant level at when the trucks cold?
little above MIN
Does it have the updated minimum sticker on the bottle? If it has one, it will be ~3/4" or so below the "min" level cast into the bottle. Mine likes to run even a little lower than the sticker. Once it settles around an inch below the bottles "min" mark, it's fine.

no other way to tell?
There are test kits out there. I don't really have any good places to point you but I'm sure Google would be your friend.

No more cheers smiley here eh? Well, here's to hoping you didn't inherit someone elses hg problem.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
First things first, have the system pressure tested and put a new resevior cap on it

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
No, you didn't get F'd....

You bought a fricken 6.oh which unless your from a foreign country, it's common sense they have problems... Fix the problems and move on. OR, sell it and buy something else that is going to have problems. Remember, Everything is for sale for a reason. People don't get rid of perfectly good running trucks. If you buy used, especially at a dealership, that's what you have to expect.

If the truck is under 100k mile warranty. Have these issues fixed on their dollar. And toughen up cuz life's a b!tch.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No, you didn't get F'd....

You bought a fricken 6.oh which unless your from a foreign country, it's common sense they have problems... Fix the problems and move on. OR, sell it and buy something else that is going to have problems. Remember, Everything is for sale for a reason. People don't get rid of perfectly good running trucks. If you buy used, especially at a dealership, that's what you have to expect.

If the truck is under 100k mile warranty. Have these issues fixed on their dollar. And toughen up cuz life's a b!tch.
LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts