Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to spend the money on a newer truck to baby my obs even more and I and get rid of my beater cummins. I went to a dealership with a check in hand to buy an 05 f350 lariat 4x4 cc lb that was super clean and on my last test drive i put the heat on its highest setting and even with the truck warmed up it blew cold air but when I stepped on it it would blow hot air till i let off, then cold again. I mentioned it to the salesman and he didnt seem eager to fix it but he finally said he would address the situation. I backed out of the deal and told him to call if they fix it then id be interested again. I had the impression that it was egr related or a head gasket assuming the worse. the truck showed signs of past work on the heads and having been around the 6.0s for years now i wasnt at all suprised. just wonderin what u guys thought it might be.

Thanks, chris

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
There are a number of potential issues - hard to say without troubleshootinhg.

Could be a clogged heater core, weak water pump, bad heater coolant supply valve, low coolant level (here is where head gaskets come into play), etc.

I think you are justified in passing on a 6.0L with an "undiagnosed" problem like that - unless it was DIRT cheap.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the thing it wasnt cheap thats why i assumed the worst lol. it looked as if the water pump was farely new and the heater core was flushed when the dealership got the truck... so the salesman says. The salesman never took his sun glasses off even when he was in his dark office so i wasnt highly impressed with him.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
Thats the thing it wasnt cheap thats why i assumed the worst lol. it looked as if the water pump was farely new and the heater core was flushed when the dealership got the truck... so the salesman says. The salesman never took his sun glasses off even when he was in his dark office so i wasnt highly impressed with him.
Sounds like a douche to me. Take your business else where

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Coolant level check sounds like a good place to start.

Also I just found out that the older style hose between the egr cooler and oil cooler is prone to leaking. The orange hose is the older style, my 05 has the orange hose. The updated hose is blue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts