Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
super tuner
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently replaced my rear bumper with a bumper that has all the backup sensors and wiring installed in it and i was just wondering how many components would be left to complete the backup alarm system or if it could even be done on this truck. I got the bumper for such little money i couldnt turn it down and im just curious as to how much would be left to make it functional so the sensors arent just there doing nothing.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
you can find back up alarm kits on amazon starting at $20

i was lookin at them last night....

much easier and cost effective to add an aftermarket one

·
super tuner
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome,works for me. Thankyou.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
I haven't looked into it but would it not be as simple as running a wire from your backup lights to the new sensors, then to a beeper of some sort, then to ground. How many wires on the sensors (2 or 3)? I would think you could pick up a backup beeper at NAPA/Autozone then you could hear it in the cab and the idiot standing behind you would know to get out of the way.

·
super tuner
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i recall seeing only 3 wires making up the whole harness in the bumper so its definitely not a very intricate thing(not like it needs to be anyway). This doesnt sound like a bad idea at all, ill see what components are available to finagle something and ill go from there.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
It may be cheaper to buy a kit but I wouldn't think a beeper from NAPA would be very much.
I would guess the three wires are: 12v from backup lights, ground, and signal to beeper. Which wire is which I couldn't say without a diagram. I wouldn't just start trying wires because you could damage the sensors if you get the wrong combination.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
From the factory a computer module is involved. And the 3 wires are 12v, vref, and signal return. You cannot just hook up 12v, ground and a signal to a speaker. You'll fry every sensor and have a speaker that does nothing.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
Good thing we have people like BIGRED97 to keep the rest of us straight.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
No. no. no, I was being serious. I didn't realize those sensors worked that way and I am glad you were here to keep me from giving bad advice. You saved CLP13294 a lot of trouble if he followed my advice.
I hope you accept my apology for seeming sarcastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts