Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been useing the motorcraft diesel additive. My friend that got it for me no longer works there. Closest dealer is 35 miles out the way. So what should I go to as an alternative?

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Tator: You are probably better off doing a google search of your question and then just choosing 3 or 4 and try each... You will get many opinions... Kinda like opinions on Oil...

It's tough finding any real scientific proof of any diesel fuel addtive that actually does what it says... There is a huge market for this product... There are more and more companys jumping on the diesel fuel additive market... Because there is a massive profit to be made...

You will have to try a few and rely on your ears and seat of the pants feel...Everyones motor will react differently to any given diesel additive... No motor is the same nor reacts the same...

Try the most popular ones first... You can find them at any large chain store or truck stop... PowerService-Howes-->are probably the Most Popular... Many others are out there...

Many others you can buy online.... but you usually have to pay out the toosh for shipping...they offer free shipping if you buy $75 to $100 worth of product, which the average hard working fella can't afford...or just refuse to pay... Then some who really want your business and will ship for free... to get a long time customer...

If you have an older diesel? You might even think about TC-W3 2-stroke oil... Many members have reported good results...

Most online addtives are way expensive per qt or gallon once you add shipping into the mix... Is it worth it? I guess it all depends on your bank account and your mental aspect... I have read where some of the most popular diesel additives used in every tankfull over time causes excessive engine wear... It has been proven in many UOA...

Good Luck in your Quest!

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Going to start using Stanadyne... Found a seller on E-bay that has free shipping along with a decent price for Pints... Will still continue to use FP60 from Lube Control... Will rotate between the 2...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I run howes. And when I can't get that I run diesel kleen white bottle. The grey bottle is the diesel 911 super anti gel formula. And it works quite well. I have run the howes for about the last 10k miles and the truck runs smoother and is a little better on start up. Also seems to have made my injectors work a little better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I run howes. And when I can't get that I run diesel kleen white bottle. The grey bottle is the diesel 911 super anti gel formula. And it works quite well. I have run the howes for about the last 10k miles and the truck runs smoother and is a little better on start up. Also seems to have made my injectors work a little better.
Actually the gray bottle is the summer formula, without any anti-gel additives. The 911 anti gel formula is in a bright orange bottle.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Actually the gray bottle is the summer formula, without any anti-gel additives. The 911 anti gel formula is in a bright orange bottle.
Gah, somehow i always get them confused. I thought the white bottle was the normal stuff and the grey was the 911.? Have not ever seen the orange bottle. But gonna look around for it since ill be hitting a bunch of truck stops on the way to MI tonight. BTW FSJPat, you happen to be the same pat thats in Tidewater4wheelers?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been using Standayne lubricty formula and #1 diesel up here in northern MN during the winter months. So far no gelling down to -32 with the fuel res heater unplugged, probably pretty cloudy though by that point. In summer I use regular #2 and Stanadyne performance formula. But, I've used pretty much everything else from PS to Schaeffers....they are all good IMO. I may start using 2T oil here soon, I tried it a few weeks ago and boy was she QUIET!!:blah:

·
Banned
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've been using Schaeffers Diesel Treat for the last year, seems to work very well. Quiets the injectors a bit, no gelling (but we rarely get below zero here), and MAYBE a slight increase in fuel economy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I run the gray power service year around. Winters get cold in NEB, Never had an issue, knock on wood. Also I know filling stations put an anti- gelling additive in diesel fuel during the winter months. How good is it? Who knows

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Just poured in my last 12oz of Stanadyne today... I'm going back too and going to stick with Redline Diesel Catalyst Winter & Redline RL-2 in the summer...

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
I'm curious to see how many owners look over the MSDS of the fuel additives that they pour into their fuel tanks... Or do they just go by word of mouth and use what others use or what they were told to use by family members or mechanics?

After looking through many MSDS from a handful of diesel additives {That I printed off} I'm starting to really see a big difference in these additives... It took me a while to figure out what to look for, but now I think I have a grasp of the key components and % to look for now...

It is really interesting seeing the different components and all the uses that they are used for besides being used in a diesel additive... Kinda scarey really...

Very large gab in % of different kinds of solvent for cleaning {Between Brands}.

What I was really surprised at was the very little % of components to aid in lubricity.
thus the reason I started pouring in a small amount of TC-W3 every fill up.

I know the MSDS don't show you every thing... But it gives you a bit of knowledge of just what you are pouring into your fuel tank and what you are spending your money on.

I was mainly looking for 3 things.
1. % of Petroleum Naphtha/Petroleum Hydrotreated Light Distillates---Solvents
2. % of Alkenyl Carboxylic acids & Amino Esters ---- Lubricity Additives
3. % of Alkyl Nitrate & 2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate---Ignition Improver or Cetane Improvers

I was only curious to the # of owners who even think about this? Not to start a brand war! {But these products are far from equal!} I just wanted to get my moneys worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts