Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 7.3PSD, with a 5-speed stick and a 97 7.3PSD with the E4OD. The 94 gets 19-22MPG empty, but the 97 only gets 10-13MPG empty. I'm looking for things to check, to help the 97 do better on fuel.

While driving the 97, it feels sluggish and the 94 wants to fly.. Could the mods in my sig, do that much for the truck?

Any ideas welcomed!

Gary

·
Twitch
1,383 Posts
Could be one of several things or a combo: chitty diesel, dirty fuel filter, brakes dragging(pads sticking to the rotor and not releasing when pressure is not applied), dirty air filter. I think another one could be boot leaks but don't quote me on that one.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
same thing happened in my dads truck, he has a 97 and it was a pig. I took the cat off and it was PLUGGED! you seriously couldnt push anything through there, now that it flows better it does much better on fuel and power.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be one of several things or a combo: chitty diesel, dirty fuel filter, brakes dragging(pads sticking to the rotor and not releasing when pressure is not applied), dirty air filter. I think another one could be boot leaks but don't quote me on that one.
Thanks for the tips! I will be looking at each one, as time allows.

same thing happened in my dads truck, he has a 97 and it was a pig. I took the cat off and it was PLUGGED! you seriously couldnt push anything through there, now that it flows better it does much better on fuel and power.
As soon as I get a chance, the cat is coming off! Thanks!

·
fastfish1967
56 Posts
I have a 97 F250 HD 7.3PSD with the same trans as you and it is bone stock right down to the original cat and muffler. It gets 17.5 to 18 MPG around town and 20 plus at 70 MPH on highway. It has 258K miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 97 F250 HD 7.3PSD with the same trans as you and it is bone stock right down to the original cat and muffler. It gets 17.5 to 18 MPG around town and 20 plus at 70 MPH on highway. It has 258K miles.

I wonder if the PO got hold of some bad fuel and clogged ours up....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts