Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my roommate has a 04 powerstroke. i just finally steered him away from banks. it took about 2 months to do it, but when he finally saw hom much he wouldve spent for what he wouldve got, he opened his eyes. whats yalls advice for say a 4" exhaust, cold air intake, and programmer/chip/ downloader. i drive a dodge cummins, so i dont really know to much about anything for a 6.0. ive heard a lot of great things from DP tuners. what input do yall have so i can help him out. i know he wants someting that he can adjust in the cab to turn it down when he's pullin heavier loads (around 12k-15k tops).
thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats the djs tune?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The sct can be custom tuned for higher levels of hp. People that do the custom tuning consist of, Tadd @ elitedieseleng.com , eric from innovative diesel, and dj from DJs diesel performance. There are afew others but the ones listed are most talked about on here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rgr thanks for the help man.:D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You can get a Diablosport Predator used for 150 dollars or a new one for around 300. Off the shelf, these little tuners are the best downloader for the money. Also they have more tuning potential now, as Innovate Motorsports has a log works software program that interfaces with your laptop so you can actually tune the fuel injectors to meet your performance needs, using the Predator, and guage your changes with logworks. I think the Log works is around 120 dollars. I am going to run this set up during this years drag season. THe other stuff, intake and exhaust they are pretty much all the same. I would say go with afe intake and exhaust because they are dyno tuned to compliment each other.

Mike

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You can get a Diablosport Predator used for 150 dollars or a new one for around 300. Off the shelf, these little tuners are the best downloader for the money. Also they have more tuning potential now, as Innovate Motorsports has a log works software program that interfaces with your laptop so you can actually tune the fuel injectors to meet your performance needs, using the Predator, and guage your changes with logworks. I think the Log works is around 120 dollars. I am going to run this set up during this years drag season. THe other stuff, intake and exhaust they are pretty much all the same. I would say go with afe intake and exhaust because they are dyno tuned to compliment each other.

Mike
Can you control Egr position with that? Can the the everyday consumer use it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone have expierience with the EDGE products? I was considering the Edge Juice platinum w/the Attitude controller. I like the fact that you can set a turbo timer, and shift points, as well as have the boost and EGT gauge's all in one.

·
Registered
868 Posts
4 inch exhaust, afe stage II prodry s, and sct x-cal III w/ elite, innovative, or djs tune.
this is what i got...you can ask Mike..my truck is pretty quick. Eric claims at innovative that with the right driver you can be in high 13s with his tunes. i was running DJs luney tune at irwindale for my first time ever at a drag strip and ran a 9 flat at 77.9mph. I have messed around with Eric's tune a little and can tell it is a little faster and does make a pound or 2 more of boost...now granted he is trying to sell tunes so idk about his 13 second claim but i have driven djs and his stuff and he knows the 6.0 trans a little better.

an SCT livewire (maybe the same as xcal III?) doubles as gauges, you can trouble shoot with it and clear codes etc. its finger print is undetectible...and if it does drop a code it will only drop a dead battery code....thats when you just play dumb with the ford techs and say that you were unable to eject a CD and you heard that it was like a computer and sometimes needed to be restarted haha..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well from the info I have gathered here, It seems that the SCT is the best programmer for the buck, but doesn't have a switchable deal like the EDGE, Banks or Bullydog setups.

I was hoping to keep everything in one neat little package, that had the whole shebang, program, gauges, and switchable settings deal on the fly.

I personally am not looking for crazy HP, I want something I can easily switch off when the wife's in the truck, and be able to monitor EGT and Boost, without needing to buy a set of gauges, and a pillar mount.

·
Registered
868 Posts
SCT livewire is ur best bet. you can put a moderate economy tune on and be fine. either DJs street/highway or Eric at Innovative has the same style tune. I was cruising around on DJs street for a month to see what my mpg was and i was still able to beat my friend in his BMW 325 lol.. it has a spot for EGT probe..call around to DJ or Innovative- they can make you a package deal, exhaust, tuner and intake.

i do not think their is anyone who makes an On the Fly for 6.0s..atleast anyone that makes something good. my friend has an edge on his 6oh and while its loading it gives you trivia questions lol..only cool thing about it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
dead blow ran 13.7 w/ sct from elite and a exhaust. I havent heard a bad thing about any of the tuner list in this thread. X-cal three is a live wire without gauges, same features. Livewire is the whole package in one. Chase u have any pics of urs installed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with any of these tuners, we arent gonna run into any problems with the head gaskets are we? not tryin to start something here, ive just heard that when you start puttin more fuel/air to the 6.0's that you run into the possiblity of blowin the head gaskets.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
6.0s have HG failures bone stock, putting more into it will always increase chances of lifting a head. It all depends on how u drive it. Beat on it and it will be more likely, drive it like a grandmaw and it may last for a good while. Its not if, its when!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks logan, thats what i figured, kinda just like our 2nd gen 24v cummins, with crappy lift pumps, that when go bad, make the vp44 strain for good flow of fuel. i already changed out my LP and fuel hoses, and had to replace the injector pump back in august. my roommate's not gonna be racing, sledpulling, or anything hard core. just for pullin and when cruisin down the highway, wants a little extra for just in case.

·
Registered
868 Posts

i took a dremel and cut up the box a little...some velcro and it fits in. it can even close!!!

id say instead of the xcal3 go for a livewire..it eliminates the need for gauges..unless you want to monitor fuel pressure, oil pressure, and stuff of that nature.

if you are running a moderate tune i do not think you will blow your gaskets. im making close to 30lbs of boost and havent yet..and i do drive me truck hard, i know its a matter of time till i do...when i do, bye bye tuner, hello warrenty :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
thanks logan, thats what i figured, kinda just like our 2nd gen 24v cummins, with crappy lift pumps, that when go bad, make the vp44 strain for good flow of fuel. i already changed out my LP and fuel hoses, and had to replace the injector pump back in august. my roommate's not gonna be racing, sledpulling, or anything hard core. just for pullin and when cruisin down the highway, wants a little extra for just in case.

I do about 4 VP44s a week, watch out for the p0216! Injection pump timing failure. Get a Fass and be done worrying.

As for the tuner if he is towing tell him to drop it to the tow tune and he should be fine.

Chase clean install. I dont like the livewires due to the size of them, but u have placed it where size isnt an issue. The window mount takes up to much room, IMO. I will only install X-cal IIIs with this http://www.sctdashscan.com/index.php if digital gauges are a must, otherwise its mechanical gauges.

·
Registered
868 Posts
ya logan. i like the gauges, i need to get my egt probe in finally. i still plan to run 3 or 4 on pillar..tranny temp, fuel pressure, and oil pressure.

anything you have to "tap" into to get a reading out of the SCT cant go..except EGT, even then you still have to set up a probe.

usually when i see gauges i figure the trucks got something done or they pull a lot. this set up is sleeper and i kinda like it. can still keep a good eye on it. I saw someone a while back that mounted his up above his window..looked like it was right by his visor..it seemed pretty clean too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts