Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 psd F250 4x4 with the edge with attuide and the evolution. When I run empty I run the evo in tow and the attuide on 3. Towing 10K I run the same. I know alot of you guys are running the Dp but I am looking at settings for all chips.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Ideally the best MPG will come from the setting with the most timing, and highest injection pressure.

That would naturally be your "hottest" tune. There exceptions however to this, if you have the cruise set and the hottest tune stabs at the throttle when you come to a hill and you see a slight puff of smoke, there went all the MPG gains you attained by using that setting.

If I am empty cruising on the interstate in relatively flat terrain, I will use my race or extreme setting, if it is a highway or more hilly on the interstate, I will use my 80 econo tune.

The 80 is the best all around for MPG.

Towing is another exception to running the higher tunes for mpg, towing I usually get the best in my tow setting, or 80.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
I have 2000 psd F250 4x4 with the edge with attuide and the evolution. When I run empty I run the evo in tow and the attuide on 3. Towing 10K I run the same. I know alot of you guys are running the Dp but I am looking at settings for all chips.

the more time spent here the more you will want, dp

·
Transfer Student from TDS
60 Posts
"Gregrob"So your saying if you run your hottest setting or close to your hottest setting and grandpa drive the truck you should have better mileage than your economy tune? Im running DP's older chip.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
"Gregrob"So your saying if you run your hottest setting or close to your hottest setting and grandpa drive the truck you should have better mileage than your economy tune? Im running DP's older chip.
Yes, you should notice a little difference. :D

·
Transfer Student from TDS
60 Posts
Well then I gonna give that a try, thats if I dont get power hungry. I think my 100 setting would be a good start, instead of my 120.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I bought the edge stuff before I found the diesel sites and now want the DP chip but cant justify buying it because I dont think much power will be gained over the 2 I have. Thanks For the imput

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Thanks. I bought the edge stuff before I found the diesel sites and now want the DP chip but cant justify buying it because I dont think much power will be gained over the 2 I have. Thanks For the imput

Are you serious? Damn do you realize that the edge stuff is generic? I will say this because I have owned both an edge,and a superchips then I saw the light. I do have a 7.3 but all I will tell you is that you are leaving alot on the table . Get a chip from D.P. and it will be night and day. I too was a non-believer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was under the impression that with my staked edge stuff I wouldn't gain much. Now if I had an auto it would be alot differnt.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
In my experience, if you don't have a specially-burned economy chip, your best MPG will come in the STOCK position.

Most commercially available tuners & chips ramp the fueling rate up at a rate you just cannot control for best MPG. They often do have good injection advance though. They may be of some value on egregiously fuel-hogging automatics, but even that you'll have to prove to me.

·
wishing to be faster
77 Posts
i just did a test on this. i went from new orleans to iowa. 2 trips 3 days apart. first trip up and back in the 80 setting running 75 got 14.6 total miles one way 920 return trip 80 setting 75-80 14.3 averaged. 3 days later same route 120 race setting 80mph 15.2 return 16.3 85+ (made this trip in 11.25 hours). going up all empty return trips all had a bed full of stuff. the last trip had the roadking + boxes stacked around. D.J.

·
Gearhead
38 Posts
I just got a DP tuner and on 120 it is freakin fast. I have a banks power pack on it too. I have some questions about using it. Can it hurt your engine to use the 120 setting and flooring it? Does running on 120 race wear your engine out when you are cruising for better mpg? Will my ZF manual hold up to the increased power. I have a heavy duty clutch.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
If you have a better clutch, and aren't banging gears it should hold.

Of course if you drive WOT 24-7 it can shorten the life of the enigne, like any other engine.

Biggest thing to watch is egt's, keep clean oil and air in it, other than that, a little rompin won't hurt her.

I granny my truck back and forth to work, and beat it on the weekends :ford:

·
Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
I get my best MPG on the 140 setting pulling a load or just driveing down the highway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most commercially available tuners & chips ramp the fueling rate up at a rate you just cannot control for best MPG.
This may be true... I have an Edge (soon to see DP tunes) that it seems is too fast on the 'go' side of things to properly drive like a grandpa.

Although I did fill up at 1/2 tank and saw a little better than stock with the middle tune of the Edge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Using my Bully on my 05' on the 100 H.P. tune verses stock tune, I get a solid 2 mpg better with the 100 H.P. tune on the highway. That is towing or empty. The only other mods on this truck are exhuast and intake. This truck is leaving next week, I sold it. I will definetely be getting a programmer for my 02 7.3l truck. I'd like to get the new SCT with the digital screen unit, I like to use these types verses analog gauges. I think I can get DP tunes installed on one of these, if that is the case I will give DP a try.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I'd say a DP Tuner & learn to keep your foot out of it! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts