Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running about 170 or so and I know that is a little on the high end. What are some things that can cause elevated trans temps?

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
170?

I run 210-220 all day long on trips....mines a manual though.,

Normal is around 100* over outside temp...so if it's a sunny 70* day there...you're right were you should be.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Sounds about right. I'm running anywhere from 160-185 during the day when it's 80 deg outside.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh...well i guess i'm running ok then. thanks guys! :rockon:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Whats more important is that you know your truck. Although 170 may not be bad, Is it running warmer than it used to? Is it running warmer but the outside temp also has gone up about that much?

If everything else is the same but the trans temp has gone up a little bit, you may have something going on. Trans temps pretty much only go up from a few things. Friction of parts slipping or what not, or clogging in the cooler lines, or lack of fluid flow. In town driving runs hotter than highway obviously too, so if you made a switch like that you could expect it also.

If you always run 170 I wouldn't worry, but if this is a new rise in temp decide if you think it is an expected rise in temp or not. At that point decide if you think it is something that needs to be looked into more. From my experience, if you don't think the rise is expected, try to figure it out quick. Just this past week or so, I noticed my temps were up about 10-20 degrees more than normal. I was still only at about 150. Outside temps were up a bit, but I had a funny feeling. Well my TC had a broken bearing, I didn't drive it much after I had higher temps, but it still tore some stuff up. If I drove it more I may have been looking at a whole new trans.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I've only had the tranny temp gauge on since the winter. it ran about 150-160 then and it was mostly in the 40's. it's starting to warm up into the 80's now so if it's supposed to be 80-100 over ambient then it sounds like it's normal. driving and shifting is the same as well.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Don't fret about those temps. My truck with stock tires runs 160-180 in high80's and 200-210 towing my toyhauler in 110*+. I think Ford says 240 max. I haven't seen temps like that in this extreem temp here in Az towing in the mtns so I think you are fine. If you are worried about it put some tape over the guage. J/K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts