Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been looking at almost every car out there... new camry hybrid,fusion,all the nissans,new chrysler 300,new charger and everything thing else under the sun but I am 100% undecided.

Has anybody else been looking at any of the new cars at all? need to get 30+ MPG HWY.

I have a 97 civic HX I get 45 MPG with but I kind of want a little more luxury putting on that many miles a week. I never drive my truck anymore either :(

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
My wife had a Nissan altima 2.5s model. Good car and got 35 mpg on a trip to the beach last summer. Pretty nice car for the money. Traded it in for a v8 explorer. I sure do miss the gas mileage :doh:

·
Registered
430 Posts
My dads having me help him car shop lately for basically the same kinda setup, 35+ mpg, etc. Been looking into a Jetta TDI pretty seriously. They have a great reputation, only problems are they hold resale value like crazy so its tough to find a good deal on a used one. Also the closest VW dealer is 1.5 hours away, and when you do get to a VW dealer, TDIs are sold before they even get them on the lot.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Been contemplating getting a spare, but fun car in the next year to go back to school. A TDi Jetta, or few year old WRX, Legacy, Outback or Forester are topping my list, all great cars. Plus TDi's are surprisingly cheap, at least around here; combined with 40-50mpg . . . sounds pretty good to me!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have been looking at those to. Other thing is I live in wisocnsin so trying to find something decent in the snow. Dont think anybody makes a decent AWD car that gets good fuel mileage though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 05 WRX is a really fun DD. AWESOME in the snow, and on a highway trip I can get 30mpg's out of it (if I am under 75 or so). Im in Colorado, so you might be able to get even a little better.

Luxury side of things is a little lacking. It does have seat heat and a sun roof though. Def nicer then a civic, not as nice as the VW's or some of the other ones mentioned.

Perfect DD for my 20 min trip to work though haha

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gonna get me a TDI when I return from my deployment. I'm thinking the 06 model with the 1.9L, would that be the motor to get?

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Get a VW Jetta TDI.. I have one and I love it! It's a stick shift, and I've netted over 50+ MPG (hand calculated) on some trips. With mixed city and highway, it still gets about 47-48 MPG. It's probably the best car I've ever bought. I bought it brand new in '05 with 200 miles on it, and she's got just over 167,000 on her as of today, no major problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Yeah my Honda won't die either! Would love to get something nicer But damn I love having no car payments. My car will still be worth the same in 5 years.... Nothing.... LOL

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Uncle had a 91 or 92 honda that had over 400k on it before it finally blew LOL

·
Registered
586 Posts
My car passed the 400k mark and it's showing no signs of giving up. I just took it on a trip this last weekend. Only put 400mi on it but still. I paid 1000$ for it when I bought it and have done a few things to it to make it more drivable , bigger brakes, turbo, intercooler, 2.65:1 LSD, extra tank. I get around 35mpg hwy at 80mph and I'm cruising in a luxobarge that has rwd. None of that pulling myself around ####.

But seriously just keep the honduh till it goes.

·
Power Junky
1,055 Posts
Might be out of the box but v6 mustang with a turbo. My wifes gt mustang gets 23-25 on the highway and its a auto. I would bet with some tweaks in tuning and a manual it could brake 30mpg. It is comfy and fun to drive as well. The 05+ get better mpgs. Vettes and z28 get fairly good mpgs.

·
No 6.0
625 Posts
Why not save yourself $20k+ and run the Civic til it dies? At 45 MPG, it's getting better mileage than anything you can buy these days, including a new TDI. Sure, they're about the same mileage, but is it worth the extra $25K for a TDI? Plus extra insurance costs and depreciation, and extra fuel costs....

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
If your getting 45mpg in a gas burner you're not going to find anything more economical unless you were burning free/cheap fuel like bio or WVO etc. TDI will average 40-50 maybe better but higher cost of fuel and higher cost in maintenance will easily overcome any financial gains you may net through increase mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts