Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 Year Old Saves Family (click here)

COWETA COUNTY, Ga. - A quick-thinking 11-year-old boy from Coweta County is credited with driving his family out of harm's way. The boy was forced to make a split-second decision when his mother blacked out from a sudden seizure while she was behind the wheel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awesome kid! Great story, it's good to see some positive things in the news. I was reading the comments after the article and it didn't take but maybe 5 responses before someone ruined it with "Did the mother know she had seizures, if so why would she put her kids in danger?" Great question, but ruin that 11 year olds moment like that? Not cool.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Wow, brave kid!

My mom suffers from epilepsy unfortunately, I remember at around that same age turning the grain truck off while driving through the field when she stopped responding. Since I've always worried about her when driving. Off topic, but I can (could) relate to what that kid went through (but not to that dangerous extent).

Anyway . . . I hope she gets neccesary medical attention to avoid it again for the sake of everyone's safety.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can relate to the seizure part.

Two years ago I was driving through the gate out of my neighborhood to go to work............ and all of a sudden my whole body felt weird.

I remember partially hearing/feeling the impact but, I couldn't see.

The lady next to me said I just cut in front of her and seemed to accelerate straight into the tree.

After a bunch of tests, it was found that I had ventricular tachycardia. The doctor called it the "Widow Maker."

My heart rate was induced to over 300 beats per minute.

I had never had any symptoms previously and it is genetic.

I am now the proud owner of an ICD (implantable cardioverter-defibrillator).

It has taken a bit to get used to having a device, the size of a womans compact, inside me near my left shoulder. My golf swing is finally back to normal. :D

Here's what the car looked liked after it the tree. It only had 11,000 miles but, the insurance company totaled it. I walked away without a scratch. :shrug:

And yes, I know it's a Scion. :D Damn good car for doing a lot of traveling and being on a monthly car allowance though.

I am just so grateful that it was a tree and happened at about 30 mph, instead of out on the open road. :(

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts