Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i got my 02 7.3 stuck and i required a little rocking to get it out nothing to bad i have just under 200,000mi on it never had any trans issues before o/d light was blinking shut the truck down let it cool and all was good no light no slippage then drove it about 20miles and it started slipping bad in foward gears again shutit down for awhile restarted acted fine until it got warm then started slipping bad agian parked for a few hours same story acted great got warm came to a stop light and D was gone full throttle it moved about a foot reverse acts perfect fluid is clean and does not smell burnt iv herd of some support bolts causing problems any advice is much appreciated thanks in advance fellas

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
It could be the feed bolts. They are located under the valve body.

I suspect what happened is that you got the transmission REALLY hot. Shutting it down when it's really hot will COOK the transmission. You might have saved the transmission if you would have left the engine idling in park or neutral (it doesn't matter which one) to cool it. This would have kept ATF circulating and cooled the trans. Shutting it off leaves hot spots that will damage seals. The only way to fix that is to rebuild the trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Granted i dont have aftermarket gauges but the stock trans temp never read over normal but i do fear the worse local trans shop says full upgrade rebuild 2500 ...i dont trust myself to rebuildit correctly looked into a manual conversion but i thibk id be biteing off more than i want to chew

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
The stock tranny gauge and coolant temp gauge are junk. There not accurate at all thats why everyone puts in good aftermarket gauges. My stock tranny temp gauge will read fully warmed up and the autometer factory match wont even be moving up yet lol and when Im towing the stocker will read normal and never move but yet the autometer moves up on long grades and goes back down on downhill or when I level off after a mile or so.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
The factory transmission gauge will read right in the middle of normal anytime the trans is warmer than 50°F and cooler than 230°F.

The clutches can be MUCH, MUCH hotter than 230°F without the trans temp anywhere near that. If you are rocking it out from being stuck you can easily get the clutches that are going on and off over 600°F, and that destroys them. I've instrumented transmissions so that I can measure the temperature in the clutch and did this. It doesn't take long to get the clutches really hot. And the trans temp won't go up all that much.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Time to call John Wood he will take care of you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the helpful advice I went to move it the other day and it was a really hard start even though I have it plugged in would the trans being knocked out cause the hard start in any way?the truck has always started really well in the colder temps with no plugin

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If you decide on a BTS we can get you one this week...need to know asap.

Hard start could be just coincidence..1 bad glow plug can make it hard to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts