Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning on doing head studs for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger because If im going to go as far as Pulling the heads off I feel that I should just take it a little further. I'm short on knowledge on the 6.0 so PLEASE point something out if I am Heading the wrong direction. I don't have HP/torque goals just time. Here's the build that I have put together, I need you guys input on this.

1. Arp head studs
2. OEM Head Gaskets
3. Heads pressure checked and milled.
4. Air Dog II
5. Warren 190cc Injectors w/ new crush washers and o-rings
6. All necessary Gaskets
7. Coolant filter
8. Regulated return and fuel line from the air dog
9. 03 Turbo
10. 175 shot of nos. or what would you guys recommend?? idk never messed with it.
11. >Port and polish? Cam? < worth it? ik springs but does cam require new push rods?
12. 4" Turbo back < is 5" necessary?
13. water pump impeller < is it necessary?

14. What do I do about the tranny, I don't know jack about trannys but I have a buddy who can build it for me but idk what parts or kit I will need.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
stay away from NOS IMO. Dont waste money on port, polish, cam, etc unless going for huge power which your not with an 03 turbo. Why that turbo?? sound?? Would suggest new oil cooler since you are in there. Nah no water pump either IMO. Tranny, get a suncoast kit and take to transmission shop.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Yep agreed why buy an 03? Mise well just buy a powermax.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the port and polish and cam, just hoping someone with experience would chime in with numbers and their setup...Whats wrong with No2? ik it can blow #### up but its only a 175 or 200 shot, I'm just wanting to shave numbers at the track, not on the street. I'd like reliable 12's and 11's on spray, sound like a long shot?

03 turbo? mostly budget issues lol but ik I can get >almost< as much power out of an 03 as a powermax for almost a grand less. Haven't decided what turbo to go with, what turbo has the best power to cost ratio? I'm wanting to get more power than a powermax if I'm going to throw down some quap

Will I see lower egt's with a 5" vs. 4"?

A guy recommended me the warren 190cc's If Im going with 190's why not 225's?

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Wait what??? Your saying you can get as much power out of a 03 vs PM? if the 03 was so good it wouldn't have gotten changed in 04.5. Also a pm is a little bigger and can handle more power. 190's with pm will get you above 500 hp you way to far off from 11's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no not as much power, the pm pushes like 30% more air I think, but I hear there are trucks with 03 pushing 500, what I'm saying is that the 03 will get me by until I can get something better than the pm. How am I way to far off from 11's? jw idk, no experience, just seen a clip of a truck with just a tune on spray running a 12.6 I was hoping I could kill a sec. with fuel turbo and injectors. I'm not expecting those numbers with the 03 turbo btw

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point I'm thinking warren 225's and a rcd 66 turbo

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
225 and 66 and spray you know it boss you can nock on 11's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats to the drivability when it comes to 225's and a 66 turbo? I was going to run the 03 with 190's until I could afford the 64 but I come across this thread on Google found it to be pretty interesting. Givin he was running a single cab. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3301

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
225's are for twins....not a single 64mm or a stock '03 turbo.

Do not go bigger then 190's if you are running a single turbo....A 64mm will NOT clean up a set of 190's, so if you want to use spray, you still can.

Learn to use the search function...this is such a pita for everyone who has already been there and done that several times, and hate looking on the forums to see yet another newb doing the same damn thing over again...even after they are told by several people what to run as a daily driver/weekend warrior type truck.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wait what??? Your saying you can get as much power out of a 03 vs PM? if the 03 was so good it wouldn't have gotten changed in 04.5. Also a pm is a little bigger and can handle more power. 190's with pm will get you above 500 hp you way to far off from 11's
Actually the 03 Builds more boost because it has less Turbine blades than an 04.5+, More boost equals more power. But its not substantial.

I have been planning on doing head studs for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger because If im going to go as far as Pulling the heads off I feel that I should just take it a little further. I'm short on knowledge on the 6.0 so PLEASE point something out if I am Heading the wrong direction. I don't have HP/torque goals just time. Here's the build that I have put together, I need you guys input on this.

1. Arp head studs
2. OEM Head Gaskets
3. Heads pressure checked and milled.
4. Air Dog II
5. Warren 190cc Injectors w/ new crush washers and o-rings
6. All necessary Gaskets
7. Coolant filter
8. Regulated return and fuel line from the air dog
9. 03 Turbo
10. 175 shot of nos. or what would you guys recommend?? idk never messed with it.
11. >Port and polish? Cam? < worth it? ik springs but does cam require new push rods?
12. 4" Turbo back < is 5" necessary?
13. water pump impeller < is it necessary?

14. What do I do about the tranny, I don't know jack about trannys but I have a buddy who can build it for me but idk what parts or kit I will need.
, Take an 03 Turbo, pull the compressor cover and go find a buddy with a machine shop to cut it out so you can put a bigger wheel in it. Then get a batmowheel or something, will work great and be much cheaper. IMO Its not worth running a different single turbo, once you get to the point of needing a bigger turbo you may as well get 225+ injectors and just do twins.

5" exhaust is overboard, 4" will be fine. But you do get a completely different sound out of 5" so watch youtube.

Goodluck! Sounds like a sweet build.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Learn to use the search function...this is such a pita for everyone who has already been there and done that several times, and hate looking on the forums to see yet another newb doing the same damn thing over again...even after they are told by several people what to run as a daily driver/weekend warrior type truck.
Hey man chill out, I'm 19 with my first 6.0, your right, I am a newb, all I'm trying to do is learn. I'm sry I haven't studied the 6.0 to your extent. I always thought a newb question would be "What intake should I run with my tune and exhaust? If you dont wanna post in a newb thread dont, just move on. I do use the search function?? You think I just pulled my parts list out my ass???

On another note, who said anything about 225's with a 64mm or 03 Turbo? I've seen a truck running 225's and a 66mm so I just assumed he new what he was talking about. I'm not towing ever. just a street truck. I was looking at prices, If Im going to do 190cc with a 64mm, why not just do 205's or 225's and a 66mm with the dreams of someday doing twins?

·
matt
911 Posts
Fire rings for sure if your gonna run nos. The oem gaskets won't like it. I'm running around a 100 shot and I'm gaining 10lb boost after the spike. Also air dog 2 you don't need a rr kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill look into the fire rings, you think a 175 shot is too much?.. see I read that I don't need rr with air dog 2, so what do I just do the blue spring and 6.4 banjos?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I wouldn't go 225's running just a single turbo. I'm a dealer for Warren injectors and we can make them bigger later if you want twins. I'd do a 64mm and 190/100% injectors. Be a fast street setup. You could run a 66 but would be laggy. If you want pm or email me and I can get you everything you'll need.

·
Registered
922 Posts
if i were you i would toss out the nos for now esp if you are on a budget because it can and will put you back in the shop with a blown motor if you dont know what you are doing with it. also a good bulleye 64mm turbo would be good with the batmowheel. as for exhaust i think (and this is just me) that you are going to want a 5" turbo back with the size sticks you are wanting to run. it will keep the egt's lower. my little bro has a 4" and i have a 5" and my egts always stay lower than his. another thing you might wanna look at is a gogo intake manifold. and yes your gonna need trans mods to support all this power its not gonna hold up for long. and if you go over 205cc injectors i dont think the stock HPOP is going to keep up with the larger injectors. you gotta pay to play when you go big! and i know believe me im 19 as well

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Fire rings for sure if your gonna run nos. The oem gaskets won't like it. I'm running around a 100 shot and I'm gaining 10lb boost after the spike. Also air dog 2 you don't need a rr kit.
absolutly no reason for fire rings. Stock gaskets and ARP's have been proven to last with tons of nitrous.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hey man chill out, I'm 19 with my first 6.0, your right, I am a newb, all I'm trying to do is learn. I'm sry I haven't studied the 6.0 to your extent. I always thought a newb question would be "What intake should I run with my tune and exhaust? If you dont wanna post in a newb thread dont, just move on. I do use the search function?? You think I just pulled my parts list out my ass???

On another note, who said anything about 225's with a 64mm or 03 Turbo? I've seen a truck running 225's and a 66mm so I just assumed he new what he was talking about. I'm not towing ever. just a street truck. I was looking at prices, If Im going to do 190cc with a 64mm, why not just do 205's or 225's and a 66mm with the dreams of someday doing twins?
Why? That's because 225's push tons of fuel even for a 66mm turbo. And a 66mm turbo is too big running as a single...you're gonna hate it. Not to mention it's known that the HPOP wont have enough oil for the 225's. A set of 190's will have enough fuel for a 66mm turbo....so no need for anything bigger. A set of 190's will make over 700hp in a twin setup.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Actually the 03 Builds more boost because it has less Turbine blades than an 04.5+, More boost equals more power. But its not substantial
Yea I know what your saying about the turbos but I was comparing a 03 to a powermax.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts