Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont know if i can weld with out frying the compter. would unhooking the batterys be good enough? the problem is were the hood latch is the top of this bracket is broke on both sides next to the raditor ? every one that has a truck this year of truck says they have the same problem ??? any help would be great

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
i think unhooking your batteries is enough

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
As long as you aren't trying to weld the computer itself you will be fine. It is always a good idea to unhook the batteries when welding.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
dont know if i can weld with out frying the compter. would unhooking the batterys be good enough? the problem is were the hood latch is the top of this bracket is broke on both sides next to the raditor ? every one that has a truck this year of truck says they have the same problem ??? any help would be great
I've never seen one broke with the many that I've worked on, but that's not to say it can't happen.

The bracket that holds the hood latch on has a nut attaching it at the bottom, besides the 2 bolts at the top. You can take that off and remove the whole thing from the truck, and if you're that far, go find one from a junkyard.

I always disconnect the batteries whenever I'm welding on a vehicle, that would be a hard thing to explain to a customer that you burnt their PCM because you couldn't take 5 minutes to pull the battery cables, lol. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's all I did when I made a bracket for the two optima batteries that I have on the passenger side of the truck. Makes changin the head light a biznach. Oh well it's nice havin three batteries for the power.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have never unhooked the battery from any car or truck ive GMAW on and never have had any issues. I was recently thinking to my self that i dont think its necessary to unhook the batteries because alot of jeepers run on-board welders and they cant unhook the batteries because they got to run the jeep to power the welder. The only reason I would unhook the batteries is if I was GTAW with high frequency. The high freq. fries electronics quick!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would recommend un hooking the batteries my dad had a 97 crew cab long bed and we installed rannch hand bumpers front and rear when we had the truck and for precaution reasons we welded the front and rear bumper to the frame where it mounted on the truck cause they were so heavy we didnt un hook the batteries 2 days later we had to put a new alternater and batteries on it and a good buddy of mine that works for a ford dealer said that it happend due to us welding on the truck and not un hooking the batteries it could have been a freak accident that i went out a few days after us welding on the truck but who really knows

so with that id have to say and i know i have done will continue to with any kind of welding on my truck or anyones truck id be welding on ill always at least disconnect the batteries

1 - 11 of 11 Posts