Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I know that I am trying to reiterate the fact that is the problem OP doesn’t want to listen it seems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey guys ive been working on it, i live in nc and the constant rain has slowed me down on pulling the turbo but once i do it ill let everyone know what happens

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys ive been working on it, i live in nc and the constant rain has slowed me down on pulling the turbo but once i do it ill let everyone know what happens
Appreciate it if you do follow up. Good luck, don't forget the install kit and updated oil feed line

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I looked at it and it looks pretty stopped up i already got the turbo off and its fine its clean the unison ring isnt stuck and theres barely any carbon build up, but i found out i dont have a stock turbo i have a Garrett..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pretty sure stock ones are garrett too. A plugged cat could definitely cause you issues. Pull that & put a piece of straight pipe. I think my full turbo back diamond eye exhaust with muffler was like 200 bucks.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if removing the cat solves the issue, but I also wouldn't expect it to. I've seen some REALLY clogged cats on a couple trucks and they didn't have this type of issue. They just went from barely able to make power to running great once it was removed....but that doesn't eliminate the possibility here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yea i think garrett is to, the guy i took my turbo to said it was bigger than the stock one, so i have no idea haha, but im in the process of putting it back together, i should have it done today, as long as i dont run into any issues... and then im going to start it and see what happens and if it still contiues everything im going to cut the cat off and gut it and throw it back on just for now to have the appearence for the inspection

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Can you take a pic of the turbo you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yea i can, i still havent gotten it put back in yet, between work and weather, but hopefully this weekend i should have it done

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Does anyone know any tricks to getting the turbo back in? I worked on it for hours yesterday and i could not get it back in lined up with the notches and pedestal holes to save my life, its like the up pipe is whats stropping me. Im getting off of work early today to go home and try again so i could really use some feedback quick

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does anyone know any tricks to getting the turbo back in? I worked on it for hours yesterday and i could not get it back in lined up with the notches and pedestal holes to save my life, its like the up pipe is whats stropping me. Im getting off of work early today to go home and try again so i could really use some feedback quick
Break the up-pipe loose at the exhaust manifold, get the turbo mounted up, then tighten the up-pipe back up.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Break the up-pipe loose at the exhaust manifold, get the turbo mounted up, then tighten the up-pipe back up.
This! Loosening both sides will probably be needed to make it nice and loose. It sucks trying to get in there if you have big hands, but it makes reinstallation so much easier. Once you have the turbo in the right position, install the turbo bolts but don't tighten them yet. You want wiggle room. Next, pull the up pipe collector onto the turbo and install the clamp. Make sure you're holding the collector onto the turbo when you tighten it....the clamp will not bring the pipe closer to the turbo as you tighten. It only holds it wherever you put it. Once you're happy with that, go ahead and tighten those turbo bolts, then the clamp, and then the up-pipe to manifold nuts.

Once you have done this a few times (which you will if you keep the truck any decent amount of time) you'll be able to do this without loosening the up-pipes at all....just requires a little ingenuity, a breaker bar, and a cargo strap....though the cargo strap is a recommendation for even newbs. It helps hold that collector in place while you attach the clamp. Just run the strap over the top of the turbo and put the hook in the V between where the two up-pipes meet on the collector. The other side of the strap goes to the metal cross-member/radiator support somewhere behind the passenger side headlamp. (the size of your strap's hook determines where you can find that will fit) Align the collector, pull the strap tight by hand, put a couple clicks onto the ratchet assembly, and it'll hold while you get the clamp installed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's a huge pain. Like everyone said don't tighten it down until you get the up pipe clamp right. It will not pull it closed if it isn't already. Took me a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey guys i ended up wiggling it in without having to loosen it which was awesome! Now i have everything put back together but i have 1 small problem i ended up busting the hose to the antifreeze tank or the de gas bottle whatever you wanna call it and i already replaced it, but i did lose a good bit of antifreeze and i was just going to fill it back up with water for now, but i started thinking can you use water in a diesel since it has an intercooler? So if you guys know lmk if not tomorrow ill get some antifreeze from the shop. Also thanks everyone whos helped me along the way of this crappy knuckle and knee and back killing job hah

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you're low and need to add something NOW, add distilled water. If it can wait, add premix or 50/50 concentrate and distilled water. And while we're on the subject, what kind of coolant are you running?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok guys im completely stumped... ive tried everything and its still not boosting right and not shifting right with the turbo bark, but i did try something, i unplugged the pig tail from the turbo and nothing actually changed, i assume that doing that, that the running of the truck should change some what but doesnt, the pig tail is busted up some heres a picture

21 - 40 of 46 Posts