Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 2004 ford f250 xlt 6.0 diesel, and this past sunday after it was fine all day saturday, i went to drive it and it was shifting weird and started to have turbo bark/fart every time i let off of the pedal. It has done the bark thing before when its been cold and ive got into it, but now its constant and the turbo whistle went from loud and being able to hear it to a lighter fainter whistle. And its just weird bc its driven fine and then out of nowhere sunday morning it started. Any ideas of what could be going on?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like it's time to clean the turbo. Are you monitoring your VGT % if so I'll bet you're seeing it hanging at 85% and/or 15%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i dont have a way to check it, but every one ive spoken to, has told me to check/clean/ replace the exhaust back pressure sensor and ive done that.. and i finally replaced the sensor and the bark went away for all about 2 minutes then when i went to drive it, it came back and its like the turbo starts to spoil and builds boost but when i start going the tranny acts like it doesnt want to shift so i left off the pedal them tbe blah blah blah blah comes out of the intake...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pull the turbo, clean it and reassemble. If you keep driving it one day it's going to completely stick and fall flat on it's face with no boost at all. Get the install kit 3C3Z-9T514-AG and if you still have the original turbo oil feed line with the braided section you may want to upgrade that with the solid one, and while your at it they also make an updated drain tube too. DTR has a good YouTube video on the procedure, it's not that hard.
When your done get a monitor, or better yet before you start. You need to watch VGT%s, FICM voltage, OIL Temps, Boost, Voltage, and a few others. Reason I say monitor it before tearing it down is you have no idea the condition of your oil cooler, if your still running the crappy Ford Gold (G-05) coolant your oil cooler will bite you in the butt one day. When the turbo is out, you're a third of the way to the oil cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i have quit driving it just to figure it out, someone stole my big scan tool out of my truck awhile back, but i have a friend coming over today to hook it up and see how everything is working. I figured once i did the sensor and like i said after i replaced it, it started running fine for about 5 minutes, and the part stores keep giving egr feedback sensors and online it claims its a exhaust back pressure sensor could that be the problem to, the wrong sensors or are they both the same thing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm sticking (pun intended) with a unison ring that isn't moving

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A couple things... First, those turbo numbers (VGT %) will not show if the unison ring is hanging. It simply shows what the PCM is commanding. There's no feedback from the VGT actuator. Second, did you also clean out the tube for the EBP sensor? Those can get gunked up with soot pretty bad. Third, also don't forget to check the MAP sensor hose for cracks.

Having said all that, do you have a boost gauge? What's it saying at various times? If you don't, see if you can monitor it while driving. I'm curious to see if it is overboosting constantly or just at certain times. Either way, I'm leaning toward the turbo needing a cleaning as well. Make sure you do it right and use the 3M discs and pads, nickel or copper anti-seize all over the ring, etc. Do some google searches and you should get quite a few good videos. And yes, a unison ring can stick causing a constant overboost issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i confirmed today from ford that the EBP sensor i ordered from one of the part stores was the wrong part, which i should have known because 95%of workers at those places dont even know how to change their own oil, and the sad part was i gave them the part number and still managed to mess it up

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
If your ICP sensor is buried behind the turbo, then your engine strategy doesn't even use the EBP sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And to me idk if its over boost or not the turbo isnt whistling as loud as it was.. and the truck doesnt sound the same when i start it as it used to. So im gonna check the map sensor tubes tomorrow and possibly start working on pulling the turbo.....

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
It has one but still no fix so i guess im gonna be pulling the turbo to clean it
They all have one - that doesn't mean the PCM uses it.......... Ford modified things for the 03 and early 04.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They all have one - that doesn't mean the PCM uses it.......... Ford modified things for the 03 and early 04.
Ohhh ok gotcha didnt know that. Any other ideas so ill know what i should look for to check as i start taking stuff apart?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
I agree with Sparky about the turbo cleaning.

That said, I always compare the MAP and Baro readings at key-On, Engine-Off to make sure those sensors are ok. Also, checking the MAP hose (for cracks or plugging) and nipple on the intake manifold is a good idea (if you haven't done that already).

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wild random thought....check to see if your VGT actuator is plugged in, or if the wire is broken. Do the same for the MAP sensor and its electrical connector and hose. I've seen both of those things happen and caused some weird issues with the turbo not "sounding right" but still kinda worked, etc. Just throwing it out there because they're easy to check and easy to fix.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can't beat DTR for help working on these things. RIP Ron

He has another video if you pull the the VGT to help get it in right. Though just to clean it you shouldn't need to pull the VGT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts