Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a weird issues the past two months that I havnt been able to track down. I have a grinding/bad bearing noise which sounds to be coming from under the ash tray or mabey even behind the dash, hard to tell when driving. It occurs when ever I make a right hand turn after the trucks warmed up. But once I straighten the wheel it stops. I hear it going down the high way at about 2100 rpm and can feel the vibration in the peddle even. When I apply the brake after the trucks had a load on it, say getting off the highway it happens if I get on the brake hard. I swear it's in the transmission but then why would it happen when turning. I have no idea. I have 1000 miles left on the trans warranty so I'm really trying to track this down. Any one have any opinions on this. Thanks guys.

-Chris

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
Could it be a wheel bearing? I have a wheel bearing going and it makes that same grinding sound that you can feel in your feet when I make a left hand turn. Maybe jack it up and feel for play in the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
:whs: When my wheel bearings are on their way out they will often only make noise at times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've noticed it's only on right hand turns. And when weight of the truck is shifted left. I'm certain it isn't a wheel bearing. A guy on another forum suggested checking the motor mounts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it's 4x4 but wouldn't that only make sense if the hubs were locked. Idk I can't figure this out. On the way to work today it constantly made the noise at 70mph 2300 rpm. Heard it when letting off throttle also

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you are absolutely certain its coming from the front end I think you should look into the wheel bearings cause that's the only thing that should be turning doing 70mph. Also how are you certain that the wheel bearings are good? Mine had minimal amounts of play but were dry as a bone.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can rule them out then as long as they are correctly torqued. Funny thing is my truck used to do the exact same thing when I was on an off ramp and turning right, but it suddenly stopped when I did new wheel bearings...not saying that's your problem but it was defiantly mine. Sorry I cant be of more help.

·
Registered
169 Posts
:whs: That just made sense at least in my case lol mine hasn't made the noise since I replaced my body mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts