Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a slide in camper. I go to a C.A.T. scale at the truck stop and weight my truck, with out me in it, full tank of fuel (25 gal.).

8100lbs. :eek:

Look at the sticker on the door, 8800 GVWR. :confused:

Is this right??? I have 700lbs. to work with. 4 people in cab weighing over 200lbs. will put me over weight.
The axles will carry 5200lbs Front and 6084 Rear. 11,284 Total.

Axles don't matter, if I'm over 8800lbs I'm not legal.
So I call a friend my mine in the insurance busn. and he told me, over 8800, crash, not covered. :eek:

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Not what I've heard.

As long as you don't exceed your axle weight rating your in the clear with the DOT as far as I know.

For example from what I've been told, I'm completely in the clear with any trailer hooked to my truck as long as the rear axle weight rating is not exceeded. Along with the front axle, and the trailer axles blah blah blah.
But from everything I've heard they could care less what the door sticker says, as long as your within the axles limits.

Call up your states DOT and see what they have to say about it, for that matter check with the DOT in the states you plan to frequent.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thinking about buying a slide in camper. I go to a C.A.T. scale at the truck stop and weight my truck, with out me in it, full tank of fuel (25 gal.).

8100lbs. :eek:

Look at the sticker on the door, 8800 GVWR. :confused:

Is this right??? I have 700lbs. to work with. 4 people in cab weighing over 200lbs. will put me over weight.
The axles will carry 5200lbs Front and 6084 Rear. 11,284 Total.

Axles don't matter, if I'm over 8800lbs I'm not legal.
So I call a friend my mine in the insurance busn. and he told me, over 8800, crash, not covered. :eek:
Sorry to say you are correct in the way you are looking at GVWR.

I ran over with my slide in and had no problems. I had a 10' Lance that weighed 3400lbs wet. All that I added was a set of Firestone air bags. If I had been in an accident, I could have been found liable for exceeding GVWR. A case could have been made that my brakes were not desighned to stop that amount of weight.

Camper sales folks will tell you no problem the truck can handle it (been there) they certainly wont be there if something goes wrong. I am surprised that your truck weighs that much.

This is Lance campers truck rating guidance http://www.lancecamper.com/camper-truck-compatibility-guide.html

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
Mine weighs a bit over 8200 with a CC and LB and big, heavy wheels and tires.

In NYS you have to worry about your registration as well. I have to run commerical plates if I want to put anything over 500lbs in the bed.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
I have a F-250 CC LWB with a Leer fiberglass camper top and when I weighed at a Cat scale it weighed in at 8330lbs. So what we have is an over sized fuel guzzling grocery getter. I still love my truck.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Is this right??? I have 700lbs. to work with.
Yes you are correct. I always drive the wife to the grocery store in her car because if we took my truck we would be overloaded on the way home.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Guess I need to quit throwing two pallets of grass in the bed, huh. Or a yard of pea gravel.

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
Guess I need to quit throwing two pallets of grass in the bed, huh. Or a yard of pea gravel.
lol. I don't get it either.

If I recall correctly, the GVWR is based on a full vehicle, @ 150lbs each.

Take that 150 x #seatbelts and subtract that from the GVWR, that is hypothetically what you can put in the bed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a Lance 821 on my truck (about 4K ready to camp). I added a rear sway bar and spring overload extensions...no air bags. Handles the load fine.

I don't get the weight police paranoia. Has anyone EVER actually known someone who had a claim turned down because of a camper in the bed?

A fender bender or minor hit is a simple exchange of information.
A major accident, the TC will look like a pile of rubble.

Most police officers (state or local) care less about these things (and have little knowledge as well - bigger fish to fry).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Actually you have the perfect camper hauler 2wd Dually is about the highest haul rating you can get.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I know with 2 pallets of grass, I was on the overloads, but they were still arched. Nowhere near the limit.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I know with 2 pallets of grass, I was on the overloads, but they were still arched. Nowhere near the limit.
At that point the steering still works, throw on another pallet.:D

·
Slacker
537 Posts
I have a Lance 821 on my truck (about 4K ready to camp). I added a rear sway bar and spring overload extensions...no air bags. Handles the load fine.

I don't get the weight police paranoia. Has anyone EVER actually known someone who had a claim turned down because of a camper in the bed? Yes. My wife is in the insurance biz.

A fender bender or minor hit is a simple exchange of information.
A major accident, the TC will look like a pile of rubble.

Most police officers (state or local) care less about these things (and have little knowledge as well - bigger fish to fry). It is less about the police (although they could find you at fault) and more about the insurance company, who will do whatever it takes to dispute the claim and NOT pay, leaving you holding the bill...
Just pointing out a couple things.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cops unless you are required to cross the scales. Put some Firestone bags on it and it'll ride like a Lincoln and handle good. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is why I bought a one ton. With a 9900# GVWR you always get 1100# more cargo capacity than the F250. Your truck is heavy at over 8000. Mine is always 7500 +/- a couple hundred.

I don't worry about a traffic ticket for being overweight. I worry about being found liable for any wreck that I am involved after being found to have exceeded the stickered ratings. Even if you are not at fault at all in the accident, you can be found at fault AND your insurance is void.

This is serious stuff. We're talking about losing your home and assets because you exceeded your ratings and the insurance company walked. What do you think will happen then? The other party will sue you for everything you own.

This is a risk that you shouldn't take. Use the right tool for the job. The sticker is just as important as having the proper equipment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts