Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 97 f250 and am having a little starting trouble. I have 2 brand new batteries a brand new GPR and all 8 new glow plugs. It seems to start fine the only problem is it takes many cranks to start. When I first turn the key to start it, it cranks very slow about 2 times then sounds like it gets power all the sudden and turns over better. It sounds almost like the batteries are about dead when really they are not. I have cleaned all my battery cables and the ground connection on each, but it still cranks weak at first and then builds up power as i continues to crank. Not sure what the problem is i attached a pic of my voltage when i have my key turned on not sure if it should be higher or what please someone let me know. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Also check your cable ends. If you have a bad connection the longer that you apply the voltage to the starter they will burn off the oxidation and give you a better connection.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
That is about where my voltage is at with the key in the ON position. I wouldn't worry there. It sounds like a starter isn't spinning fast enough though...

You will be amazed what a new starter will do for the truck...

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
call diesel equipment in potterville mi. buy their hi torque starter. live happily ever after. lol. Those hi torques are stupid. Sounds like a mini 7.3 turning it over at 3x normal speed. They always fire. Thats my next investment, as i have the same problem. All my friends and brother have bought then and are happy as hell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks I'll look into that. What about a regular starter though. Do I need to buy one from Ford or International in order to get this monster to turn over correctly? Or would one from the local auto parts store (aka NAPA) be sufficent?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can get one from a local parts store/shop. It's just your personal preference. But do get one for a 99-03 7.3. It is a gear reduction starter and turns over much better that the 94-97 starter. Costs about the same. You will be very happy with one of these.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Just get one from O'rielly's or the like... Lifetime warranty and when it fails, there is usually a store within a fair distance...

·
Registered
433 Posts
it should bolt up, may have too enlarge the eyelet of one the wires.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The SD starter only uses two bolts instead of three and you will need to ream out the eyelet of a cable end to get it to fit onto one of the starters post.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just put a new high torque starter on my 96. It's crazy how quick it starts up now, I can almost just do a key bump and have it running. Great thing to do for our trucks.

·
Heath
441 Posts
Just did mine yesterday with a Napa starter for a SD. It's amazing how fast it turns the motor.:bowfast: I think it will make cold starts much easier come winter time. But they wouldn't take my obs starter as a core:(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright so im still a little confused haha. Should i just go ahead and go with the SD starter or should i look for one of these high torque starters. The SD starter sounds a lot more convenient to get

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Alright so im still a little confused haha. Should i just go ahead and go with the SD starter or should i look for one of these high torque starters. The SD starter sounds a lot more convenient to get
The SD starter is technically a gear reduction starter so just pick one up and put it on...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright but how much should i be looking to spend? I searched for starters on napas website and like 30 of them came up for a 99-03 SD. Im pretty sure the cheapest one i saw was like 200 bucks. I thought these things were a lot cheaper. Can i get a part number or an expected price possibly??

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I paid just over 200 bucks for mine last year at O'rielly's but It's cuz I didn't have a core so I had to buy new... I think they were 169 with a core...

They aren't cheaper. DB's crap is cheaper but you get what you pay for and the warranty is much less...

·
Heath
441 Posts
I used this one NAPA AUTO PARTS

Went with the new one fore the life time warrenty--remans had a 3 year

·
Registered
10 Posts
No one has had any problems with the starter only being held on by 2 bolts versus 3? If not this sounds like a good option for my truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts