Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I set out to bypass my GPR and wire a switch into the cab, change the diff fluid and see what the heck I hear rubbing or grinding when Im moving.

Well the switch kept the glow plugs on for 10 secs before melting, top 3 bolts of the front diff cover wont come out, I cant even find where the rear diff fill hole is and as I turn my tires one by one I hear no noise.

So I cleaned up and called it a day. What a b*&ch she's being today.

:eek:wned:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This morning I set out to bypass my GPR and wire a switch into the cab, change the diff fluid and see what the heck I hear rubbing or grinding when Im moving.

Well the switch kept the glow plugs on for 10 secs before melting, top 3 bolts of the front diff cover wont come out, I cant even find where the rear diff fill hole is and as I turn my tires one by one I hear no noise.

So I cleaned up and called it a day. What a b*&ch she's being today.

:eek:wned:
LOL God I hate days like that... sounds like you made the right decision to call it a day.

Out of curiosity, were you trying to wire the switch into the GPR to basically bridge the large lugs like you'd do with a set of pliers? :eek: That's like a 100amp circuit, would take a hell of a switch!

If your looking to manually activate the gpr, all you need to do is wire a switch in between ground and the small terminal on the glow plug side of the relay. I believe that it's pink with a blue tracer but off the top of my head cant remember 100% on the colors... but basically that's what happens when you turn the truck on. PCM grounds this lead to the relay and the glow plugs fire off. If you stick an LED in the cab wired in on the gpr side as well then you'll be able to see exactly when they are on and off too. If you search manual gpr on the site, I think something pops up for it that's a little more detailed. If not, pm me and I'll walk you through it better.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL God I hate days like that... sounds like you made the right decision to call it a day.

Out of curiosity, were you trying to wire the switch into the GPR to basically bridge the large lugs like you'd do with a set of pliers? :eek: That's like a 100amp circuit, would take a hell of a switch!

If your looking to manually activate the gpr, all you need to do is wire a switch in between ground and the small terminal on the glow plug side of the relay. I believe that it's pink with a blue tracer but off the top of my head cant remember 100% on the colors... but basically that's what happens when you turn the truck on. PCM grounds this lead to the relay and the glow plugs fire off. If you stick an LED in the cab wired in on the gpr side as well then you'll be able to see exactly when they are on and off too. If you search manual gpr on the site, I think something pops up for it that's a little more detailed. If not, pm me and I'll walk you through it better.
Yeah.....yeah I did. :doh:

Thanks for the info, I will look for it or PM you about it if I cant.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
:poke: remember these???(pay attention to the red words)

pull the control wire off the relay, hook up an ohm meter and see if it grounds when the key is turned on. if it does, you've had 4 bad relays(unlikely even with aftermarket garbage) if it does not, you have either a bad wire from the PCM to the GPR and need to start chasing it, or you have a bad driver in the PCM (replace PCM or wire a manual switch to control it)
What I said has nothing to do with the EOT. One of the small wires on the GPR is hot with key on, the other comes from the PCM. The PCM supplies ground to activate the relay.

As for the fusible link, its not your issue since you clearly have power at the big post because your said your bridged it with a screw driver and it worked

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure do remember that. It grounds out when the key is turned but I was looking just to wire a switch and move on with my life. I have 3 weeks wrapped up on this a failed relationship with NAPA over it.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
so you have a pcm suppied ground with the key on? then a switch will not solve the problem. PM me if you want more help, in greater detail

·
Registered
298 Posts
the fill hole is gonna be on the drivers side towards the fron of the diff.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fill hole is gonna be on the drivers side towards the fron of the diff.
Thanks, I found it.:doh: I was blinded by the way the rest of my morning went and didnt see it right away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah man...we've all had days like these. And they blow ass. I never like leaving the garage/shop with a feeling of defeat or shame. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts