Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright looking for help and info first post so I'll try and make it count.

Vehicle in question is a 02 7.3 excursion 2wd auto 180k (just in case you care)
Just blew the water pump and when it blew it looks like oil was thrown around under the hood any guesses why this would happen?(Have not looked real close at it yet other then visually see dark marks and feel the consistency of it) I've never worked on a diesel before always gassers so im at a loss to that.
Did a little research and people say 4 of the water pump bolts go through the timing cover and oil can seep past the bolts? Not sure if that's the problem maybe a bolt blew out? Truck starts fine other then the familer waterpump clunk.

Before i get into tearing it apart is there in tips or tricks? Also why im doing this anything else I should check out or replace why doing so? It just had the whole fuel system replaced by the local ford dealer because some "new" guy at the gas station filled it with premium gas and not diesel. (stupid oregon state law no pumping yourself)

Also it seems to be lacking in the torque department it has a power commander but Idk how much that helps other then look "cool" and give random percentages when modes are changed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not much to replacing the water pump. While your there id replace the thermostat and thermostat housing. The lower elbow or outlet. Lower hose. And get the optional upper hose that routes around the serpentine belt if you dont already have it. New pumps from o'reilly come with the lower elbow/outlet. Your gonna need a fan clutch tool to remove the fan.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I used a pipe wrench on my fan.
dieselsite has a new pump that includes all of that...
lower hose, new tstat, tstat coover and has a built in filter
it is a modded international pump. If i had the money i would be all over that.

....no idea on the oil everywhere.
double check your hpop lines etc..

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
Screw it ended up getting the dieselsite water pump hope it works good
wise move....you will be very happy with that pump over oriellys....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Before i get into tearing it apart is there in tips or tricks? Also why im doing this anything else I should check out or replace why doing so? It just had the whole fuel system replaced by the local ford dealer because some "new" guy at the gas station filled it with premium gas and not diesel. (stupid oregon state law no pumping yourself)

Did it run to a point where it was running on the gas diesel mixture?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, have someone look at it and tell you what really happened.
Thanks but I'm pretty mechanicly inclined, already pulled the old water pump off it for sure is shot. Could not find the source of any oil leak so I'm beggining to think maybe coolant was thrown around onto misc dryer up oil spots making it seem new?

What's everyone doing coolant wise? Chevron elc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Did it run to a point where it was running on the gas diesel mixture?
Yeah it was ran a couple blocks before stalling out, have since installed a green locking gas cap.
The gas station paid for all fuel related repairs.

·
Registered
616 Posts
And get the optional upper hose that routes around the serpentine belt if you dont already have it.
Whats the benefit of swapping the upper hose?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep an eye on your degas bottle for signs of oil inside. Always a possibility of the oil cooler seals leaking , letting oil into the coolant , when the pump blew you are seeing residue from oil in the coolant. Just a possibility.....

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Some trucks have a hose that goes through the belt.. so when you change the belt the hose has to come off...belt breaks hose can get hit etc.

there is a hose that goes around the belt and attaches to the bracket that is already there for it..
my e99 came like that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, I can see the changing the belt issue. Hose actually seems safer inside though. Anytime a belt shreds, it beats everything up on the outside.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Belt change every 200k or ten years might not be a bad idea either..... lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts