Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 6.7 roughly 140,000 miles, my water in fuel light came on drain separator. I want to make sure its the little yellow turn knob on the fuel filter housing first of all. I did drain that two different times, fuel looked good and no water. I ran it for a while, light did not go off. Now reduced engine power light on. When I first looked under, sensor was unplugged. Any chance sensor is bad, any recommendations.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most likely the "sensor" is not bad as it is only two metal prongs that when water comes in contact it makes a connection between them. You have have some moisture or something in the plug since it was not connected. Try disconnecting plug and spray with WD-40 to see if this helps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is no sensor in the sense of anything special or magical. There are two prongs on the sensor that water will make an electrical connection across.

Check the photo on this eBay listing to see what I am talking about.

2011 2015 Ford 6 7L Powerstroke Diesel Water in Fuel Sensor BC3Z 9T321 B | eBay

I would check the wiring to make sure it was not pinched or any rubbed spots allowing the wires to short across.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2011 2015 Ford 6 7L Powerstroke Diesel Water in Fuel Sensor BC3Z 9T321 B

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
your vehicle is in reduced power because water in fuel was on for too long, seeing that the sensor was unplugged moisture probably allowed current to cross between two prongs and turn the light on. If it was unplugged it was probably never plugged back in after last fuel filter change or not plugged in good enough that it came unplugged. Sensor and filter are probably fine, unless its been a while since the filters have been changed. If its not water in the connector then maybe a pinched wire as mentioned. Once problem is fixed clear the codes and then you should have full power back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Most likely the wif sensor is fine. You have water collected on the bottom of your primary fuel bowl tripping the sensor. The code will stay in the pcm for a while as usually draining the bowl doesn't help. Please use factory filters every 15k+- miles depending on severity of use to reduce the strain on the high pressure fuel system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is the difficulty level on replacing that sensor. I just changed both fuel filters 1000 miles ago and am now having the same issue. Gonna try unplugging sensor and cleaning it but if that fails want to move to replacement.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Very simple, it just unscrews one it is unplugged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts